Forum Discussion

david_bird
Occasional Contributor
11 years ago
Solved

Issue with opening web page in Chrome

I'm using TestComplete 9.30 so it's got the Chrome 27 patches. Even so, Chrome is still breaking my script for opening a website.

IE opens with about:blank highlighted in the address bar, which is overwritten by the URL I want to go to and the script proceeds happily to open the requested web page.

Firefox opens with an empty address bar in to which the URL I want to go to and the script proceeds happily to open the requested web page.

Safari opens with an empty address bar in to which the URL I want to go to and the script proceeds happily to open the requested web page.

Chrome opens with about:blank in the address bar, but it is not highlighted. As a consequence the script does not insert the URL I want to go to and ultimatey fails with an error.

I've tried a few things as suggested in Support's online documentation but nothing seems to work.

So, being new to TestComplete and being just a bit rusty using VBScript, I would very much appreciate it if someone could enlighten me as to how I get Chrome to display the web page in the same way that IE, Firefox and Safari have no problem with doing.

Thanks in advance.
  • What I would suggest is to record a script where you launch Chrome and browse to the desired URL. Stop recording and compare that code to what you have written and see if you find the difference that is causing the problem. Next I would try isolating the code that launches the browser in your existing script, put it into a new script and see if you can get it working in a simple/minimal scenario.There's also the help documentation with examples that you can look through.

2 Replies

• What I would suggest is to record a script where you launch Chrome and browse to the desired URL. Stop recording and compare that code to what you have written and see if you find the difference that is causing the problem. Next I would try isolating the code that launches the browser in your existing script, put it into a new script and see if you can get it working in a simple/minimal scenario.There's also the help documentation with examples that you can look through.
    david_bird
    Occasional Contributor
    Jeff C,

Thanks for the advice which helped me on some subsequent issues.

In this case it turned out to be the fault of Chrome being zealous with security.

Chrome had disabled the TestComplete Extension. Once I re-enabled the extension things worked.