Forum Discussion

emmanouilh
New Contributor
11 years ago

[Issue Tracking] Test Complete 10.10 unable to connect to TFS (TC10 Worked fine)

Hi,

I just upgraded to TC10.10 from TC10 and I have the following issue.

I am currently trying to connect TC10.10 Issue tracking system to the TFS and TC refuses by throwing the following error.

The following errors occurred while connecting to the specified server:

Unable to initialize the Team System engine. Please make sure it is installed correctly.

The previous version TC10 connected to our TFS server without any issues.

Tried to repair and restart TC10.10 but I still got the same issue.

Repro Steps:

1. Start TC10.10 

2. Click on the <Menu Bar> Tools->Issue Tracking->Connection Manager...

3. In the Connection Manage click Add...

4. Choose 'Visual Studio Team System' and click next

5. Enter the TFS url, the user name and the password and click next

After that I am getting the above error

6 Replies

emmanouilh
    New Contributor
    Hi,

I found what caused the issue.

Summary:

Actually its an old issue also found by another person in Test Complete 6.0.

Link to the solution (You dont have to to register the dll using the regasm, it will get picked up by the TC.)

http://www.sqaforums.com/showflat.php?Number=448774

Cause:

For some reason after updating to TC10.10 the 'aqtfsci.dll' file responsible for linking TC to TFS Issue Tracking was not copied in the Bin directory.

I had to extract the file from the TestComplete1010 executable using 7zip.

• The file was situated in Data1.cab,

• There are actually 4 aqtfsci.dll files, the one that worked for me was the smallest one (last [4]... release version?) .

• I imported the correct aqtfsci.dll (trial and error) to the '<TC10.10 install dir>\Bin'

• Launched and initialised TFS Issue Tracking

Hope that helped.

I will post that to your bug tracking system

Emmanouil Hatjissavvas 

emmanouilh
    New Contributor
    Hi Tanya,

Thanks for the reply. Yes I am using the same URL string as in the TC10.0.

I have just submitted an issue to your bug tracking system.

Thanks.

Emmanouil Hatjissavvas
  • Hi,

I am currently evaluating TestComplete 10.2 with TFS 2013 and have run into a full stop due to this problem with Issue Tracking.

After having tried to register each version of the 4 aqtfsci.dll present in the Data1.cab, I have found that none of them supports TFS 2013, as this version of TFS is using version=12.0.0.0 of the .dll files that aqtfsci.dll is depending upon.

So as it is right now, TC10.2 (and probably also lower versions of TC) cannot use issue tracking together with TFS 2013.

So yet another version of aqtfsci.dll is needed soon.

Cheers,

scot1967
    Frequent Contributor

I realize this is a faily old post however I did a search and found nothing newer.  Has this issue been resolved in version 11.X ?  We are having a similar issue, "Unable to initialize the Team System engine. Please make sure it is installed correctly."

In older posts from other versions I have seen where re-installing TC and selecting modify may resolve this.  Our Team Explorer was installed after TC and not before as was recomended in the post I read. 

Thanks.