Forum Discussion

sguda
Regular Contributor
15 years ago

How to save our project suites and projects from changing in network drive.

Now i have found something new.

I created a project suite , "TestSuite" and a project, "TestProject" in my local c:\.... .

I copied the project suite folder to shared network drive V:\....

I was able to access my project suite  in shared network and execute form there.

I opened my proect suit in local c:\... again and made some changes to the steps of keyword testing.

I observed that it is changing the script in shared network v:\.... also automatically without me saving manually.

I was in the intension that it will not change anything in shared unless i copy or replace the project suite again in shared network v:\.....

The goal is i want to save in shared network drive which is backed up everyday, so that if my system crashes i can retrieve from shared v:\.......

Please let me know what to do.

Also i observed that another person accessed a keyword test from shared v:\.... of my project and added to her project suite as add exixting item. She made couple of changes to that step locally in her c:\....as the script was not working in another browser version.

What i saw was it actually modified my keyword test in v:\.... of my project and also i saw that it modified the test in my local c:\.......

I am getting confused here.

If other person wants to add my keyword test as existing item and modify a little bit to work for her without changing my keyword test in my project either in shared network v:\..... or c:\....... what should we do.

Our shared drive will be back up everyday.

14 Replies

sguda
    Regular Contributor
    Hi David,

I will do what you said for i have created so far.

But can you please tell me what is the right way of saving the project suites and projects in the shared network drive and back up network drive.

Thanks a lot.

• Hi,

The right way is to use an SCC system or open the project located on a network drive in the network mode without having a local copy of the project in order to avoid conflicts.

If you still want to use your scenario, please note that none of the items from either your local project or the other person's local project should refer to any items of the project that is stored on the V: network drive. In other words, the local project should not contain items that are added via "Add | Existing Item..." directly from the project residing on V:. If this condition is met, the project residing on the V: network drive won't be modified unless someone copies his local project to the network drive.
    sguda
    Regular Contributor
    Hi David,

Ok, i understood. So the projects saved in network drive should not have any references to the items residing in local drive or the one's residing in local drive should not have any references to network drive right?

I am trying to make myself more clarified.

In that case in what situations we use add / existing items. Just from a person's local drive of one project to another project in local drive.

Also, can the other person do the cloning of project residing in the v:\ drive and copy it to her local drive and modify that project and work on that.

Please let me know. Still learning.

Thanks a lot for the response. i will be looking forword to you response again.

Please.....

• Hi,

Ok, i understood. So the projects saved in network drive should not have any references to the items residing in local drive or the one's residing in local drive should not have any references to network drive right?

If an item is added to a project as an existing item, the project just references the item's file by its existing path as the item is not copied to the project folder. So, when modifying such an item, any changes are actually applied to the original file. If this file is added as an existing item to several projects, all of these projects will "see" these changes.

Also, can the other person do the cloning of project residing in the v:\ drive and copy it to her local drive and modify that project and work on that.

If you mean the Cloning Projects feature, in your case, I do not recommend that you use it. If project settings are correct, you can just copy the project from V: to your local folder and edit it locally. When the needed changes are made, replace the project residing on V: with your local copy. By correct settings, I mean that:

- no items of the project residing on V: are being referred from other projects;

- no items of other projects are being referred from the project residing on V:.