Forum Discussion

jeremyt
Contributor
9 years ago

How do you access the "Update Name Mapping Wizard" manually?

I have some mapped objects with properties that have changed. I would like to be able to launch the "Update Name Mapping Wizard" manually so I can use it to point to the object and then use that info to update the objects properties. All I can seem to do is access the "Edit Name Mapping Item" dialog but that's not the one I need, I need the one that allows me to use the glyph to identify which object has the incorrect properties. The functionality I need to access is this feature: https://support.smartbear.com/viewarticle/76458/

To be clear, I want to be able to access this manually, waiting for TC to try and figure out automagically when I need it is infuriating! So....does anyone know how to do this?

9 Replies

dmiscannon
    Frequent Contributor

If you are getting the "Edit Name Mapping Item" dialog when you double click on an item in Name Mapping, then TC has found an object that matches the Name Mapping item you selected. I'm guessing you want to update the object since it is now matching a different object in your application,

In this situation, I usually do one of two things:

* If I can identify the property that has changed, I edit the property to match the originally mapped object. Then I use the Highlight button to see if the Name Mapping object now maps to the application object I want it to.

* If that doesn't work, I delete the Name Mapping object and re-map the object.

In reading through the different help topics for the Name Mapping Wizard, there are different pages that can display under different circumstances. The page you are wanting to display will not display for your object since TC is finding an object that matches the properties that were mapped and is diplaying the Edit Name Mapping Item screen. I suggest you read the help topics again more thoroughly to better understand this ofter misunderstood feature of TestComplete.

jeremyt
      Contributor

Yes I understand what is happening and it's exactly why I'm asking if there's a way to access the wizard manually or if anyone has a way of handling this scenario elegantly. I'm working on a fairly complex HTML5 application that has thousands of objects and hundreds of those are dynamic (meaning they change everytime the object is invoked) and are at varying levels of hierarchies that are often 25-30 deep so I run into this issue on the regular and deleting the object and having to remap it everytime is exhausting.

btw...it's a bit insuling to tell people to read the help more thoroughly, especially when you yourself cannot offer a solution to the problem either.

dmiscannon wrote:

If you are getting the "Edit Name Mapping Item" dialog when you double click on an item in Name Mapping, then TC has found an object that matches the Name Mapping item you selected. I'm guessing you want to update the object since it is now matching a different object in your application,

In this situation, I usually do one of two things:

* If I can identify the property that has changed, I edit the property to match the originally mapped object. Then I use the Highlight button to see if the Name Mapping object now maps to the application object I want it to.

* If that doesn't work, I delete the Name Mapping object and re-map the object.

In reading through the different help topics for the Name Mapping Wizard, there are different pages that can display under different circumstances. The page you are wanting to display will not display for your object since TC is finding an object that matches the properties that were mapped and is diplaying the Edit Name Mapping Item screen. I suggest you read the help topics again more thoroughly to better understand this ofter misunderstood feature of TestComplete.

jeremyt
      Contributor

That link points to information unlreated to my question but I appreciate you trying to help.

NisHera
    Valued Contributor

Go to name mapping editor

double click the object you need to update (you need to know what is the object)

then click point to "your object " on screen option

more

jeremyt
      Contributor

I've tried that but it doesn't work, you get the edit dialog not the update dialog so the "point to 'your object' on screen" option is never presented.