Forum Discussion

JamieBrydges
New Contributor
9 years ago
Solved

How do i return a table from a sql server query using Testcomplete?

Hi,

i'm trying to return a table from a sql server query.  I have the folowing method but when i look at the results that are return i get the error = error: cannot perfom this operation on a closed dataset: 

function ReturnSqlQuery(sqlQuery, connectionString)
{
try
{
var query = ADO.CreateADOQuery();
query.ConnectionString = connectionString;
query.SQL = sqlQuery;

query.Open();

var queryResult = query;

return queryResult;
}

finally
{
Log.Message("Closing the connection.");
query.Close();
}
}

• The key here is you're writing out all your returned results BEFORE closing the connection. (I drop them into an array rather than the log, but same thing.)

Same deal.

(I use both - query & execute. Mostly query. But I have to use execute to get back number of affected rows for some calls. It's not requrned as a parameter of a RecordSet object for a standard query. Which is annoying.)

3 Replies

• I've never used the CreateADOQuery. Here's the function I use to open a connection (it's in python):

def open_db_conn(conn_str):
      db_conn = ADO.CreateADOConnection()
      db_conn.ConnectionString = conn_str
      db_conn.LoginPrompt = False
      db_conn.open()
      return db_conn

Here's an example of using the connection to execute a query:

def query_example():
      conn = open_db_conn('ImagineARealConnectionStringHere')

query = 'SELECT * FROM Table'
      resultset = conn.Execute_(query)

#Log all the records for a certain column 
      while not resultset.EOF:
        Log.Message(resultset.Fields.Item['ColumnName'].Value)
        resultset.MoveNext()

conn.close()

Obviously if you'd rather a function like yours that just returns a resultset you can modify the first function to do that. And I didn't wrap mine in a try block even though that's a smart thing to do.

Colin_McCrae
      Community Hero

The key here is you're writing out all your returned results BEFORE closing the connection. (I drop them into an array rather than the log, but same thing.)

Same deal.

(I use both - query & execute. Mostly query. But I have to use execute to get back number of affected rows for some calls. It's not requrned as a parameter of a RecordSet object for a standard query. Which is annoying.)

• From memory, you have to perform any actions on the RecordSet object (what your SQL query returns) before you close the connection.

Normally, I just dump the results into an array and pass that back instead. If nothing else, it's a lot easier to work with than a RecordSet object and it's horrible pointer. And you can deal with it after the connection is closed of course.

(Be careful with bit-fields though as these can return some funny results .....)