Forum Discussion

p_bremm11
Contributor
9 years ago

Help for the dealings of runtime errors

Help for the dealings of runtime errors

When I run my tests may occur xml differences, for example.
In this case, I think I could make a userforms for when to give the difference it show? For there to update the same, and even compare and continue my test?

Simply put: userforms to update xml and continue without interruption test

Or anyone have any other ideas that I can do?

Thank you for your help

3 Replies

AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3

Hi,

You can create custom user form in TestComplete (http://support.smartbear.com/viewarticle/69674/) and display it to the user. However, this means that your test cannot be executed when there is no human in front of the monitor who controls how the test runs and handles these user forms if they pop-up. Is this the goal of your test?

I would wonder if the mentioned differences in the files been compared are expected or not?

If they are not, than just post an error to the log and continue (or stop) the test. When the test run is over, you will go through all reported errors and figure out if they were real problems that must be reported to Development, or just false negatives that require correction of test code.

If the differences are expected, then you should not do a raw comparison of the files, but instead replace expected variable part(s) of the file with some placeholder (e.g. replace current date with a <Date> placeholder) and then compare modified actual file against expected master one.

p_bremm11
      Contributor

My goal is to really test this comparison, but nevertheless may have changes in all of them in only one xml tag, I need there to be no stopping the test whenever such change comes me to continue, or did update the xml and continued without interruption.
      For me it's okay if I will need to track the machine.
      Until then use UserForms but not for such dealings.

Usually these changes are not expected. But the program that I test has many changes and when stir in XML, for example, it takes a lot for me to do such maintenance, because I have time to test.
      So I'd like to skip these differences only, and continue. And only after I fix.