Forum Discussion

dyarwood
Contributor
11 years ago
Solved

Error launching Firefox using Run Browser keyword action

Hi,

I'm confused here. I'm getting an error running a very simple Keyword test. This 'test' works with IE fine. 

The 2 lines in the test are:

Run Browser

Navigate

Why does Firefox return an error, "Unable to find the object Sys.Browser("firefox"). See Additional Information for details. 11:08:59 Normal "

10 Replies

• *UPDATE*

OK, if I use a brand new ProjectSuite and Project, the browsers seem to be recognized as Browsers.

They automatically switch to Processes as soon as I load my ProjectSuite which was converted from TestComplete 9.  I'll just submit my Suite to Support as there must be something in there that's conflicting.  I notice my Suite takes a good 10 times longer to just open up in TestComplete 10 now too.

I'll let everyone know the result in case someone else is running into the same with TC10.

Thanks.
  • Thank you Vince of SmartBear Support!  The answer is pasted below.  Long ago when I first set up TestComplete, I believe I had filtered on processes since IE was the only browser our site was compatible with.  Scripts run great now in all browsers - albeit they don't get very far but that's a problem for our own development team!  :-)  Cheers!

Hello,

The reason is the Process Filter settings in each of your projects. Change 'Process filter mode' to 'Use all processes':

http://support.smartbear.com/viewarticle/56443/

Best regards,

Vince

• Hello,

I am receiving this exact same problem. Firefox is Version 27 and I have added the 27 patch to the bin\extensions folder. I get the same exact error with Safari and Chrome as well even though I've applied all the patches.

This is my first realm into preparing for Cross-Browser testing.  The scripts work fine in IE but can't even get past the two steps described exactly above with any other browser.

Is there something special I need to do in NameMapping?

I've been in the Help and Forums all day but give up at this point.  Please help.

Thanks.  :-)

~Chris
  • Hi Chris,

Does it work if you put the url into the Run Browser command?

Is it possible that a plugin is conflicting with the commands? I know I have that problem with a plugin, every time I use the Navigate command it seems to just sit there and hang, but that's after it's opened the browser.

For what it's worth, my experience with the Cross Browser functionality has been mostly 'miss'. 

I'm giving up except on really small bits and recording everything using the IF Browser logic.

It sucks, but it seems like the Name Mapping will put the same button into different hierarchies sometimes based on the browser. This means your entire test might run in FF and then it'll fail in IE (Object not found).

Good luck,

David
  • Hi David!

Thanks for your reply. No, it does not even work if I put the URL into the Run Browser command itself.  I also have all plugins/extensions disabled on all the browsers except for the Smartbear ones.

I'm really starting to doubt the actual efficiency of cross-browser scripts myself with TestComplete.  I have objects defined nicely in my NameMapping yet at the very highest level, IE defines items as Pages whereas the other browsers seem to work with Windows.

Anyway, thanks again. I'll keep hoping but giving up on my scripts being cross-browser capable at this time.  :-(

~Chris
  • Hi Chris,

I think Firefox and Chrome are close, but yeah Cross Browser testing seems to have issues with IE 11 (or maybe it's just my inexperienced approaches).

I checked my Object Browser based on your screenshot and it's interesting. On my machine TC recognizes FF, IE, and Chrome all as browsers.

David
    TanyaYatskovska
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi Chris,

The Firefox 27 patch is shipped only for TestComplete 10. Are you using this product version? Check it in TestComplete's main menu -  Help | About .

• Yes, I am using TestComplete 10.  It seems that TestComplete just can't seem to get its hooks in FireFox to stay.  If I only have TestComplete open and then open FireFox, FireFox will show as a "Browser" in the Object Browser.  However, as soon as I open a Project Suite or do anything else in TestComplete, it returns to be shown as a "Process". Perhaps there is an issue with the FireFox add-in patch that it can't keep its hooks into it?

As for Chrome, I'm on version 33 as it's nearly impossible to find and keep old versions of Chrome.  I can't ever get Chrome to be recognized as a "Browser" and usually displays as about 5 multiple processes.

I believe SmartBear needs to look at these patches for the browsers a little more.  I've been a user for a long time and generally each time my Support Ticket ends up requiring action.  I think I'll submit a Support Ticket now.

Thanks.

~Chris