Forum Discussion

d_dimalanta
Occasional Contributor
14 years ago

Catching Errors

Hello,

I have a winform object that I try assigning to a var.

Now this object may or may not exist.

When the object does not exist and is being assigned to a var, the test stops executing

and an error "Unable to find the object..." is produced in the log.

This is suitable in certain test cases. However, there are cases where

I don't need the whole test to stop executing because a certain winform cannot be found

(and where a warning may / or may not be needed).

I tried putting the assignment in a try / catch block as seen below, however it seems that a variable assignment error isn't handled the same way as exceptions.

try

{

btn_forgotPass = passW.WinFormsObject("_btnForgotPassword");

}

catch(e){  

btn_forgotPass == null;  

}

Any suggestions? 

thanks,

Daryl

3 Replies

• Hi,

The try/catch block doesn't catch regular scripting errors which are not exceptions. You need to obtain your object by using the WaitWinFormsObject method and check its result's Exists property value.
    sgoodman
    New Contributor
    Why are regular scripting errors not exceptions?  It seems arbitrary that this particular case would be treated as a regular scipriting error rather than treating it as an exception and allowing me to handle it a manner useful to my test.

In my particular case, the process is busy causing this object to become unusable.  I could get around this by increasing the Options.Run.Timeout to something much much higher.  However, I am trying to move my code to a script extension to make it shareable and I have not yet found away change playback properties from a script extension.

Ideally, this, and all script "regular" errors would be treated as exceptions unless I specfically say its an error via Log.Error().
    d_dimalanta
    Occasional Contributor
    Thanks!  This solved my issues with obtaining winform objects.