Forum Discussion

sagarvshinde
Occasional Contributor
2 years ago
Solved

Can I test web application url navigation and UI from a desktop application

Team,

I have few queries 

1) In our desktop application  - on clicking Report menu, it opens a web url in IE browser. Now on this url I want to capture screenshot once its loaded and may be verify couple of fields on UI. But remember I am not directly opening the url but it gets opened in browser by clicking a Report menu button on desktop application. 

2) Also another reverse condition is if from web URL if I click on a button say "Application", this opens up a desktop application. May be user will need to enter user/password on application prompt And then application will be displayed after successful authentication. Is it possible to automate App to Web URL and vice versa scenarios using test complete. ? Or we can just automate plain desktop application or only web url and not a mix/cross of them while navigation.

• Hi,

There is no problem with automation of both your scenarios if you have Desktop and Web module licenses for TestComplete.

Just record a short test for both scenarios to get an overall idea how the code will look like in TestComplete. Then modularize and parameterize it as needed. The primary thing that you will need to pay attention to is:

-- To wait until the browser is started after clicking menu command in desktop application and wait until it loads web page; and

-- Wait until desktop application is started and becomes ready to process user input when a button is clicked on web page.

2 Replies

AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3

Hi,

There is no problem with automation of both your scenarios if you have Desktop and Web module licenses for TestComplete.

Just record a short test for both scenarios to get an overall idea how the code will look like in TestComplete. Then modularize and parameterize it as needed. The primary thing that you will need to pay attention to is:

-- To wait until the browser is started after clicking menu command in desktop application and wait until it loads web page; and

-- Wait until desktop application is started and becomes ready to process user input when a button is clicked on web page.

sagarvshinde
      Occasional Contributor

Thank you so much. I will try to implement it in my current project as one of the TC. Yes we do have license version of Test Complete. I will get back again if I face any issues