Forum Discussion

carol_gossman
New Contributor
11 years ago

Can distributed testing use a pool of hosts that can be accessed on a 'first available' basis?

I'm currently using distributed testing (1 master with 3 slaves) using Jobs to determine which slave gets which project. 

The projects are essentially 'hard-coded' to a specific slave (Host).

Is there a way to have a pool of Hosts that can be used on a 'first available' basis? 

With the current setup in the example below some Hosts sit idle while waiting for the Job to finish.

Example:

Job 1 includes:

Project A - on Host 1 (10 minutes)

Project B - on Host 2 (10 minutes)

Project c - on Host 3 (30 minutes)

Hosts 1 and 2 sit idle while waiting for the Job to finish.

3 Replies

• Hi Carol,

Is there a way to have a pool of Hosts that can be used on a 'first available' basis? 

TestComplete doesn't have such built-in functionality. We have an appropriate suggestion in our DB, and your message has increased its rating.

For the moment, you can try to implement it on your own (for example, as it is described in this thread), or you can try using another product from SmartBear Software, Automated Build Studio, which allows you to use a stack of computers to execute TestComplete tests.
  • Please increase the rating for the suggestion in the DB for me as well.  I am in a similar situation where I have hosts sitting idle waiting for the longest task in the job to complete.