Forum Discussion

chrisb
Regular Contributor
10 years ago

Best practices for storing Test Complete test data?

Hi,

I am investigating different methods of storing and retrieving test data and am interested to hear what other users have implemented. Currently I am using spreadsheets for test data. They map one to one with each test. What I have works (except for the occasional corrupted sheet) but it's not great for distributed development and testing, especially having to keep a large number of excel files under source control with the rest of the project files.

I am thinking a database is the way to go, I also looked at Redis as a possible solution. Any suggestions?

• If you want to cut down on the number of Excel files, is there any reason you couldn't use one Excel file and multiple tabs?  We do that and store it in subversion in the project branch with its own folder.  

When the project is checked out, that folder comes along for the ride and then whoever has checked it out can just use Project.Path &"yourfoldernamehere" to get to the file.  We've been able to share that way pretty successfully.

Given the choice, I think I would still use Excel over a database, just to keep another level of complexity out of the equation.  You have to have access to the database from all test systems and permissions for all the test systems and so on.  I myself would prefer not to have to troubleshoot yet another server to get my testing done.  

2 Replies

• If you want to cut down on the number of Excel files, is there any reason you couldn't use one Excel file and multiple tabs?  We do that and store it in subversion in the project branch with its own folder.  

When the project is checked out, that folder comes along for the ride and then whoever has checked it out can just use Project.Path &"yourfoldernamehere" to get to the file.  We've been able to share that way pretty successfully.

Given the choice, I think I would still use Excel over a database, just to keep another level of complexity out of the equation.  You have to have access to the database from all test systems and permissions for all the test systems and so on.  I myself would prefer not to have to troubleshoot yet another server to get my testing done.  
  • Hi Chris,

Answer to this question depends on lot of parameters. Parameters like data confidentiality, exisiting database for data, memory/space issues.

In simple scenario to say..

If the data you have to store is not sensitive/confidential

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. you can store it in an excel. Yes it increases the size if you have lots of data. However if your tests goes into continuous integration(CI) then MS Office/Excel becomes a pre-requisites for your test setup.

2. easy way is to store them in an xml file. which takes less space but then you have a efficient xml processing library which is time consuming. If tests goes into CI also you have to bother nothing.

If the data you have to store is sensitive/confidential

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. you can use MS Excel/Access file which can password protected. And yes they are space consuming.

2. You can also use a light weight data base to have a secured and defined data manipulation.