Forum Discussion

mnsam
Contributor
13 years ago

Alternative way to Launch Extensions dialog for TestExecute 8

Currently we have certain security restrictions and are unable to access Windows taskbar/system tray. Because of which we are unable to launch Extensions dialog for TestExecute 8 from system tray.

Do we have any other alternative ways to launch Extensions dialog, like from command prompt or from "C:\Program Files\Automated QA\TestExecute 8\Bin\Extensions" folder. ??

Thanks,

Sam

3 Replies

AlexeyKryuchkov
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)
    Hi Samartha,

Do you have a machine where you can access TestExecute UI? If you do, you can try disabling the needed extensions in it, export the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SmartBear\TestComplete\9.0\UserData\managers\{69fb0002-d3da-41ed-909b-12bef03232b8} registry key and import it to the machines where the other installations of TestExecute reside. Otherwise, let me know which extensions you need to have disabled - I'll try to create a modified key for you. Note that you can send me a list of the extensions to be disabled through the support case you submitted.
  • Any update ??, apart from the Windows registry key change, do we
    have any other solution??

I tried your steps and I was able to
    change/deactivate "Visual Basic Open Applications (Version: 4.0)
    plugin" from Windows registry. However, we are a little hesitant and concerned users making changes in Windows registry. Also, there are some Test Analyst in our team who are still
    facing this issue(not seeing changes consistently) even after making changes in
    registry.

AlexeyKryuchkov
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)
    Hi Samartha,

Try applying the attached reg file on the needed machines.

apart from the Windows registry key change, do we have any other solution?? 

No, there's no other solution. If you need to disable other extensions, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Also, there are some Test Analyst in our team who are still facing this issue(not seeing changes consistently) even after making changes in registry.

Please suggest making sure that TestExecute is not running when the key is applied. Also, please note that the changes are user-specific.