Forum Discussion

AlG
Occasional Contributor
3 years ago
Solved

Zephyr Scale - Is there any way to move tests/cycles/plans etc as opposed to copying via import?

Possibly a bit of a newbie question but my organisation has a need to move a large number of test cases, test cycles and test plans from one Jira project to a different one. Is this possible in Zephyr Scale?

I am trying to avoid having to import everything into the new Jira project and deleting the old stuff as I guess I'd lose any history from the original tests and executions. We can move native Jira issues between projects but can't see a way of doing this in Zephyr Scale 😞

Thanks in advance

Al

• Hey,

so, actually moving test cases (meaning, removing them from one and adding them to another project including history and executions) is not possible out of the box in ZS. I say "out of the box" because there is a way to do this using the internal API which is risky and I would advise against if you do not know exactly, what you are doing. You can mess up a lot of stuff using the internal API. 😛 We have actually done this and it was (a small) project in itself with a lot of implementation and testing efforts. And since the internal API might change without prior notice, you can run into all sorts of problems, if you're not careful.

The question for me would be, why you need to move the test cases in the first place. Maybe you could leave them in the old project and just use them in the new one?

We have also requested this from the ZS support quite a while ago but nothing has happened as of yet.

Corresponding ideas:

https://zephyr-scale-server-dc.ideas.aha.io/ideas/TM4JS-I-149 <-- moving test cycles/plans

https://zephyr-scale-server-dc.ideas.aha.io/ideas/TM4JS-I-243 <-- moving test cases

Give them a vote and keep your fingers crossed. 🙂

Cheers

Josh

4 Replies

MisterB
    Champion Level 3

Hi Al,

It's possible to 'move' test cases, cycles and plans into a new project by cloning the project.  I think any ZS custom fields would need creating, but I'm not sure what happens with test executions and issues.  Worth a look though.

Andy

josh42
      Community Hero

Hey,

so, actually moving test cases (meaning, removing them from one and adding them to another project including history and executions) is not possible out of the box in ZS. I say "out of the box" because there is a way to do this using the internal API which is risky and I would advise against if you do not know exactly, what you are doing. You can mess up a lot of stuff using the internal API. 😛 We have actually done this and it was (a small) project in itself with a lot of implementation and testing efforts. And since the internal API might change without prior notice, you can run into all sorts of problems, if you're not careful.

The question for me would be, why you need to move the test cases in the first place. Maybe you could leave them in the old project and just use them in the new one?

We have also requested this from the ZS support quite a while ago but nothing has happened as of yet.

Corresponding ideas:

https://zephyr-scale-server-dc.ideas.aha.io/ideas/TM4JS-I-149 <-- moving test cycles/plans

https://zephyr-scale-server-dc.ideas.aha.io/ideas/TM4JS-I-243 <-- moving test cases

Give them a vote and keep your fingers crossed. 🙂

Cheers

Josh

AlG
        Occasional Contributor

Thanks Josh,

I kinda thought that would be the case but wanted to check.

The reason for wanting to move is due to a reporting tool we use to show linking between tests and requirements. It looks odd because the tests are in the wrong Jira Project Vs the Requirement so the easy solution would have been to move the tests & cycles but since that isn't possible we will have to handle the issue in the reporting tool or take the hit and spend a day or two duplicating everything in another project accepting that we will lose test history.

Cheers Al