Forum Discussion

Jcolonio
Occasional Contributor
4 years ago

Namemapping and Python support

I am interested in using TestLeft, however, I am sceptical about TestLeft being a good replacement for my companies legacy TestComplete project. Most of our QEs have experience coding with Python but hate the script coding style of Testcomplete. They prefer to use an OOP design pattern but Testcomplete makes it difficult without intellisense.

TestLeft would allow us to use VS 2019, but we are not certain if it supports Python. Also, we hope to keep the namemapping feature as it has made quick work of automating our legacy desktop applications.

Does TestLeft bring the namemapping feature to Visual Studio? And does it support Python as the coding language? 

5 Replies

AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3

Hi,

does it support Python

No, just .Net and Java (https://support.smartbear.com/testleft/docs/general-info/net-java.html).

Does TestLeft bring the namemapping feature to Visual Studio?

No, not as a copy of it from TestComplete. Object Spy exists as UI Spy and Models are provided instead of NameMapping. https://support.smartbear.com/testleft/docs/using/creating-tests/mapping-test-objects.html While Models might be more convenient approach for developers, it is my opinion that they are less illustrative for regular test automation guys and those who prefer Keyword Tests in TestComplete.

TestLeft provides several sample projects with Models of different complexity so you may take a look at them and make your own opinion.

Jcolonio
      Occasional Contributor
      Thanks for the info Alex!

I've been looking at TestLeft as a replacement for Testcomplete.
        AlexKaras
        Champion Level 3

Hi,

My personal opinion is that TestLeft is not a replacement but complimentary product. Whether or not it can replace TestComplete depends on your requirements for tests and experience of those who create tests.