Ask a Question

why does my application under test crash on testcomplete test run?

JennyH11
Frequent Contributor

why does my application under test crash on testcomplete test run?

Hi

We are seeing our application crash during one specific (keyword) test run in TestComplete. It happens consistently on each run of the test and it is only this test. We cannot reproduce the crash manually.

We originally thought the issue was being caused by a change we have made in the latest version of our application but we have since disproved this. There is a new thread being created following the load of a screen and the crash is occurring prior to the thread being created.

We need to establish whether this is being caused by the application we are using to test our software (TestComplete) or whether it is something linked to our application under test and TestComplete working together. I have run the ReportGenerator.exe to gain further logs and information, though we have not been successful in opening a readable version of the .dmp files. Does anyone know how to open these in a readable format?

If anybody has any advice on this it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jenny

9 REPLIES 9
tristaanogre
Esteemed Contributor

Those dmp files should be sent to SmartBear support for them to evaluate.

Robert Martin
[Hall of Fame]
Please consider giving a Kudo if I write good stuff
----

Why automate?  I do automated testing because there's only so much a human being can do and remain healthy.  Sleep is a requirement.  So, while people sleep, automation that I create does what I've described above in order to make sure that nothing gets past the final defense of the testing group.
I love good food, good books, good friends, and good fun.

Mysterious Gremlin Master
Vegas Thrill Rider
Extensions available
cunderw
Community Hero

What action is happening in your test when the crash occurs? What type of application also?

Thanks,
Carson

Click the Accept as Solution button if my answer has helped
JennyH11
Frequent Contributor

OK. I thought just as much. Thanks Robert.

Do you know if there are any other diagnostic tools we can use in TestComplete that we could interpret ourselves? Ideally it would be good if one of our Developers could review information from TestComplete and use their knowledge of our application to investigate.

I've asked for information about logs, etc. from TC before and Support was either unwilling or unable to provide us with that info.  I'm sure it would cut down on some of their support issues if those of us who are able could do some troubleshooting before we contact them.

Marsha_R
[Community Hero]
____
[Community Heroes] are not employed by SmartBear Software but
are just volunteers who have some experience with the tools by SmartBear Software
and a desire to help others. Posts made by [Community Heroes]
may differ from the official policies of SmartBear Software and should be treated
as the own private opinion of their authors and under no circumstances as an
official answer from SmartBear Software.
The [Community Hero] signature is used with permission by SmartBear Software.
https://community.smartbear.com/t5/custom/page/page-id/hall-of-fame
JennyH11
Frequent Contributor

Hi cunderw!

The crash occurs when these conditions are met:

- TestComplete clicks Load on a display load window

- TestComplete doesn't click Load and the test is stopped manually prior to this point. We then click Load.

- TestComplete doesn't click Load and the test is stopped manually prior to this point. We then click Cancel.

The application is written in Delphi code and is a desktop application. For anything more than that you'll have to be more specific 😉

Thanks

Jenny

Does your AUT have any kind of debug log you can parse? What type of object is 'Load' and how are you accessing it / clicking it. 

Also what exactly are you doing prior to clicking Load.

I might be way off, but my guess is that you're accessing something in the application in an unexpected way and it might be throwing a null error or something similar. I've seen this in some of my AUTs.

Thanks,
Carson

Click the Accept as Solution button if my answer has helped
JennyH11
Frequent Contributor

Hi

Prior to clicking Load the test is updating details in the database and a configuration setting in a different application that is referenced by this application.

The Load button is a third party component from a provider called Raize. When that button is clicked data from the DB is loaded and other components in the Graphical are updated as a result.

We have reviewed logs to try and debug this already. Though, they have focused around the thread creation \ thread synchronization only.

In the keyword test the Load object is being clicked by an on screen action which is executing just fine but obviously the crash is occurring. When the crash happens TestComplete still has the mouse disabled and it's only when the application is ended through Task Manager does TestComplete become responsive and give us the log as normal.

I've been too busy to raise this issue with SmartBear Support but willing to do this if people think it will help.

Thanks,

Jenny

JennyH11
Frequent Contributor

Another point to add that might be important here is that we can hit either Cancel or Load buttons on this Load window and the application crashes. It's not just the Load button....

Sorry, this only came to light recently.

Could be significant?

It doesn't take long to open an issue with Support.  They can get to the details like those dump logs that we can't help you with.  

https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/

Marsha_R
[Community Hero]
____
[Community Heroes] are not employed by SmartBear Software but
are just volunteers who have some experience with the tools by SmartBear Software
and a desire to help others. Posts made by [Community Heroes]
may differ from the official policies of SmartBear Software and should be treated
as the own private opinion of their authors and under no circumstances as an
official answer from SmartBear Software.
The [Community Hero] signature is used with permission by SmartBear Software.
https://community.smartbear.com/t5/custom/page/page-id/hall-of-fame
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: