Forum Discussion

JennyH11
Frequent Contributor
7 years ago

why does my application under test crash on testcomplete test run?

Hi

We are seeing our application crash during one specific (keyword) test run in TestComplete. It happens consistently on each run of the test and it is only this test. We cannot reproduce the crash manually.

We originally thought the issue was being caused by a change we have made in the latest version of our application but we have since disproved this. There is a new thread being created following the load of a screen and the crash is occurring prior to the thread being created.

We need to establish whether this is being caused by the application we are using to test our software (TestComplete) or whether it is something linked to our application under test and TestComplete working together. I have run the ReportGenerator.exe to gain further logs and information, though we have not been successful in opening a readable version of the .dmp files. Does anyone know how to open these in a readable format?

If anybody has any advice on this it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jenny

9 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

Those dmp files should be sent to SmartBear support for them to evaluate.

JennyH11
      Frequent Contributor

OK. I thought just as much. Thanks Robert.

Do you know if there are any other diagnostic tools we can use in TestComplete that we could interpret ourselves? Ideally it would be good if one of our Developers could review information from TestComplete and use their knowledge of our application to investigate.

Marsha_R
        Champion Level 3

I've asked for information about logs, etc. from TC before and Support was either unwilling or unable to provide us with that info.  I'm sure it would cut down on some of their support issues if those of us who are able could do some troubleshooting before we contact them.

cunderw
    Community Hero

What action is happening in your test when the crash occurs? What type of application also?

JennyH11
      Frequent Contributor

Hi cunderw!

The crash occurs when these conditions are met:

- TestComplete clicks Load on a display load window

- TestComplete doesn't click Load and the test is stopped manually prior to this point. We then click Load.

- TestComplete doesn't click Load and the test is stopped manually prior to this point. We then click Cancel.

The application is written in Delphi code and is a desktop application. For anything more than that you'll have to be more specific ;)

Thanks

Jenny

cunderw
        Community Hero

Does your AUT have any kind of debug log you can parse? What type of object is 'Load' and how are you accessing it / clicking it. 

Also what exactly are you doing prior to clicking Load.

I might be way off, but my guess is that you're accessing something in the application in an unexpected way and it might be throwing a null error or something similar. I've seen this in some of my AUTs.