Forum Discussion

francisd84
Contributor
3 years ago
Solved

WaitWindow() method on InstallShield software object make it crashing intermittently.

Has someone here experienced a tested application to sometimes crash when using the WaitWindow() method on an object?

This occurs intermittently when we use it on InstallSheild software.  We got the error event "The setup.exe process has crashed" and the call stack of the event points out to the WaitWindow() call.  As I said, this is not occuring all the time and I didn't identified yet if it always occurs on the same object

Just want to know if there is something known about that with this method.

Thanks a lot!

• mattb wrote:

I am not aware of something like this causing crashing, though if it is we can open a support ticket!

For a short term fix I would recommend a waitproperty() on a object within the window https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/reference/test-objects/members/common-for-all/waitproperty-method.html
    I commonly use the visible property. 

Before opening a ticket, I wanted to know if someone faces that kind of issue (before or currently)

But finally, I think I found the root cause (I say "think" since since this issue is occurring occasionally).

When I was calling the method where this function is used, the number of parameters were correct, and some of those parameters were used on the method, that could possibly result to unknown behaviors...

For now, so far so good but time will confirm.

Thanks all!

5 Replies

AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3

And unless you are testing installer itself, why not to install the product from command line without UI?

Something like: msiexec /i <yourProduct.msi>

francisd84
      Contributor

And unless you are testing installer itself, why not to install the product from command line without UI?

AlexKaras wrote:

Something like: msiexec /i <yourProduct.msi>

That's sadly the point, we also test the installer 🙂

But that's a good solution for those who are not!

francisd84
      Contributor

mattb wrote:

I am not aware of something like this causing crashing, though if it is we can open a support ticket!

For a short term fix I would recommend a waitproperty() on a object within the window https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/reference/test-objects/members/common-for-all/waitproperty-method.html
      I commonly use the visible property. 

Before opening a ticket, I wanted to know if someone faces that kind of issue (before or currently)

But finally, I think I found the root cause (I say "think" since since this issue is occurring occasionally).

When I was calling the method where this function is used, the number of parameters were correct, and some of those parameters were used on the method, that could possibly result to unknown behaviors...

For now, so far so good but time will confirm.

Thanks all!

francisd84
        Contributor

Edit:

When I was calling the method where this function is used, the number of parameters was INcorrect, and some of those parameters were used on the method, that could possibly result to unknown behaviors...