Forum Discussion

IRISQATeam
Contributor
10 years ago

Verifying contents of a screen in TestComplete 10.

Hi

I need to verfiy the contents of a screen in windows appliation. I have used region checkpoint but that doesn't work when contents are different as region checkpoint passes the checkpoint. Is there any way I can check all the contents of a screen?  I have attached the screenshot of the screen which I would like to verify that all expected objects e.g. combo box, radio buttons, text boxes and buttons are present.

3 Replies

chrisb
    Regular Contributor
    You could use the region checkpoint with a comparison mask to ignore the contents of the fields which I assume are dynamic? See here: http://support.smartbear.com/viewarticle/55713/

Are you trying to verify that the controls are present in the Window or that the UI is presented correctly? If you are also checking for the existence of the controls in the form then you would identify a unique property of each of the controls and verify that the object exists: http://support.smartbear.com/viewarticle/56659/
  • Hi Chris,

Thanks very much for your reply. I need to verify controls/objects on the screen, making sure all the controls are present and default values are selected. It will be too tedious and time consuming to verify unique property of each control as I have around 50 screens and each screen contains around 25 - 50 controls, lets say there are 40 controls on each screen which means I need to verify unique property for 50 * 40 = 2,000 controls. Is there any better and quick way to verify controls/object on the screen?

chrisb
    Regular Contributor
    If you need to do the same thing on each screen - verify one or more object exists and nothing else then a data driven test looks like the way to go.

Take a look at a sample of controls in your project and see if there are some properties that are common to all controls but unique enough to be used to locate the object on the screen.

Write one test script that reads in the property values from your data store (spreadsheet?), pairs them with a set of property names and tries to locate them on the screen.  

If you have 50 screens and you must test for the presence of each control on each screen then create a list of property values in a worksheet for each program. Of course you will need to aquire those property values from each screen but not having to acquire the property name halves your workload.