Forum Discussion

AndyG
Occasional Contributor
4 years ago

Trying to test headless execution - Configure Capabilities disabled

Hello,

I am looking to try out headless test execution on our new project.

I have read the following documentation:
https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/app-testing/web/supported-browsers/headless.html#local

Our project is configured for xpath/css, but when I open a new script window and define a function, the 'Configure Capabilities' button on the code editor toolbar is disabled.

Any thoughts on what might cause this?

Thank you.

4 Replies

Marsha_R
    Champion Level 3

Our project is configured for xpath/css

Not sure where there's a setting for that.  Do you just mean you are using xpath in your scripts?

First thing I would do is double check all the requirements on that page carefully.  There are a lot of things in there needed to get this to work and one of them might have been overlooked.

AndyG
      Occasional Contributor

Thank you both. It looks like I need a Device Cloud plugin license, even to test on my local machine I think?

It seems odd, that you would need such a plugin if you are not using crossbrowsertesting.com....

AlexKaras
        Champion Level 3

Hi,

I need a Device Cloud plugin license, even to test on my local machine

Yes. And this is documented in the help article you've referenced in your initial message: "An active license for the TestComplete Web Module and for the Device Cloud add-on."

It seems odd, that you would need such a plugin if you are not using crossbrowsertesting.com

Device Cloud Add-on is not something that is specific to CrossBrowserTesting site, but instead this is something that enables translation of script commands used in TestComplete test code into Selenium commands.

TestComplete itself mimics human's actions as close as possible and thus it does not support test execution using headless browser. (Just because human cannot interact with the browser that runs headless.) Selenium, on the contrary, just emulates human's actions over the GUI and thus Selenium can drive headless browsers.

So if you like to execute your TestComplete test code over the headless browser, this can be done with the help of Selenium only. And in order to translate TestComplete commands into Selenium equivalents Device Cloud add-on is required. Regardless of whether Selenium runs locally or remotely. (The article that you've referenced provides an example of how to connect to the local instance of Selenium and start headless browser.)