Forum Discussion

andryt29
Occasional Contributor
11 years ago

The process excel crached when I use the plugin ExcelCompare.tcx

Hi Everybody!

When I use the Excel plugin  ExcelCompare.tcx and do :

var msg = objectExcel.ExcelCompare(sPath1, sPath2,resfile)

I have sometimes the error :

The EXCEL.EXE process crashed.  

Exception code: 0xC0000005.

I just have this error log in TestComplete 9.31.3889.7

But when I try this code in TestComplete 7.52 I don't have this error

Can you help me?

Thanks

9 Replies

sergeys
      Contributor

I have the same error "The EXCEL.EXE process crashed. Exception code: 0xC0000005. Process identifier (PID): 3448."

I use TestComplete 10.30.1145.7 and Excel 2010 Version 14.0.7153.5000 32-bit (Pro Plus).

I use the following function:

function CompareExcelFiles(fileName1, fileName2, fileNameResult)

{
      var result = objectExcel.ExcelCompare(fileName1, fileName2, fileNameResult);
      if (result == "No mismatches found.") Log.Checkpoint("No mismatches found.")
      else Log.Error(result)
      }

The most interesting thing is that test always passes OK when I set breakpoint somewhere before or after IF check, BUT it always fails when I remove breakpoint and set delay instead - it doesn't even wait the time specified in Delay function and fails.

So far don't know how to resolve it

andryt29
    Occasional Contributor
    I work with Excel 2010. So I found the problem ExceCompare.tcx cannot crush the same excel result file. We want to save the result excel file with another name.

thanks a lot
  • Hi,

I have this issue too: EXCEL.EXE process crashed when I use Sys.OleObject("Excel.Application"); 

After I finished to deal with this object  I write  excel.Quit();

but still I can find this process in TaskManager.

And as result in log file I get this error.

Exception code: 0xC0000005.

Process identifier (PID): 300.

Dump file: EXCEL_ue_db3d188c.dmp.
    AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3
    Hi Iryna,

While I understand that this is not the easiest way, you may try the following:

a) ExcelCompare.tcx script extension is a Zip archive, so unpack it into some folder;

b) Change extension of the extracted file from .js to .sj;

c) If your test project uses JScript, just add extracted file to the project. If not, you will have to create a new JScript-based project, add extracted file to it and add a new script unit with the problematic test code converted to JScript;

d) Replace in your test code call to the script extension with the call to the relevant method from the extracted file;

e) Put a breakpoint in the extracted file near the crash point and start test execution. Debug extension's code in TestComplete. Hope you'll find the reason of the crash and let us and SmartBear's Support know.

P.S. BTW, exception code 5 is Access Denied one. Depending on where the crash error occurs, might it be that the file is either read-only, or located on the read-only resource, or some other similair problem exists?
  • Hi Alex, actually I don't use any ExcelCompare.tcx script extension, I just use standart object in TestComplete Sys.OleObject("Excel.Application"):

so I do the next:

var app = Sys.OleObject("Excel.Application");  

book = app.Workbooks.Open(fileName);

sheet = book.Sheets(sheetName);

book.Save();

book.Close();

app.Quit();

but after "app.Quit();" EXCEL.EXE is still in process. And after I run a lot of tests in one time it is crashed.

AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3
    Iryna,

What if you try

app = null;

after

app.Quit();

(with, maybe, some (dynamic) delay to wait for Excel to close) ?

Will this close Excel process?

Otherwise, you may try Sys.Process("Excel").Terminate(); to terminate Excel.
    krkarthik_info
    Frequent Contributor

Hi Team,

Even I am facing the same issue. Anyone found the solution.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks,

Karthik K R