Forum Discussion

DavidRedmayne
Occasional Contributor
8 years ago

Testing across applications

Interesting little conundrum!

We have a web app (Neon) which feeds a desktop app (DRS) via some middleware. What I need to do is change some data in the web app and check that it's updated the desktop app. Is it possible to have a 'mixed economy' test where by the test starts in a web app, kicks off the desktop app for assertion purposes and then closes both things?

An alternative is that we have an old Desktop version of Neon, so in theory we could test two desktop apps...if that's any easier!!

Any ideas?

Thanks

David

4 Replies

baxatob
    Community Hero

Hi,

You can do it if you have installed both TC modules - Desktop and Web.

DavidRedmayne
      Occasional Contributor

OK thanks - that's promising. Yes we have both of those modules installed. What's the process please?

Thanks

David

tristaanogre
        Esteemed Contributor

No real "process"... just create your test, calling the functions, methods, etc., against the appropriate applications in the appropriate order.

Prime example from my own work history: eCommerce website + Windows Service to "poll" the site for new orders + desktop application for order fulfillment, all in the same TestComplete project.  Basically, created a test to place an order on the website, check the SQL database for the order retrieval by the web service, then go through the fulfillment process.  Now, I modularized each piece but I just called them in sequence in the same automation project and it worked just fine.

Perhaps you can tell us what you've tried and we can give pointers on how to make it work?