Forum Discussion

twe69
Occasional Contributor
5 years ago
Solved

TestExecute licencing issue on Nutanix server

Hello,

I sent out a support ticket last week but not heard back so seeing if I can get help through the community.

We have 2 TestExecute floating licenses however we wanted to implement them on our Nutanix Server, specifically on 2 VMs. The problem here is that it recognises that it is a VM and so we then need to use the Licensing Manager. The licensing manager requires a physical machine rather than a VM which makes it more complicated.

At the moment our test network is internal only and our Nutanix server is external. 

Having the license manager on a machine in our testing network does not work as it cannot see the VM's.

The only viable option I can  think of is to get a physical machine connected to the same network as the Nutanix Server and use it for the license manager. Is there any other option available? Manual seems to be a bit of a pain? Also once licensed any idea if TestExecute will continuously check it's licence every few days/weeks? I.e. we have to leave the physical machine connected?

Thanks!

• When you invoke TestExecute, it will look on your network for the license manager and then check whether there is a TestExcute license free and if there is then it will open up the instance for you.

We normally recommend having a physical machine for license manager as VMs tend to change cpu, mac address etc. So if you can pin for example the ip or mac address to the machine and it stays static then you can install license manager on vm but if any of the mechanics like cpu, ip address change, your licenses will be lost. 

Check out https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/licensing/how-to/license-manager/specifying-license-manager-for-connection.html for working with license manager and remote connection but again the machines where TestExecute is installed need to be able to access the license manager server

8 Replies

AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3

Hi,

> but not heard back [...]

This sounds strange. Have you created ticket via the https://support.smartbear.com/message/?prod=TestComplete form? Initial request *must* be created using this form, otherwise it will not be noticed by Support.

> I.e. we have to leave the physical machine connected?

Yes, correct. TestExecute (like TestComplete) may check different license modules at different moments of time, thus it is more reliable to have License Manager constantly accessible.

twe69
      Occasional Contributor

Yes I used the form that you linked to Thursday 17th October 2019.

Ok cool will do that if we need to go with option 1 of a physical machine connected.

DWalsh

When you invoke TestExecute, it will look on your network for the license manager and then check whether there is a TestExcute license free and if there is then it will open up the instance for you.

We normally recommend having a physical machine for license manager as VMs tend to change cpu, mac address etc. So if you can pin for example the ip or mac address to the machine and it stays static then you can install license manager on vm but if any of the mechanics like cpu, ip address change, your licenses will be lost. 

Check out https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/licensing/how-to/license-manager/specifying-license-manager-for-connection.html for working with license manager and remote connection but again the machines where TestExecute is installed need to be able to access the license manager server