Forum Discussion

cmpenn
Contributor
2 years ago

TestExecute failing to click an object because of the Indicator?

Recently we added a couple of new test machines to our CI builds. While getting the new test machines set up, we noticed that one test machine seemed to be failing often when attempting to click a specific button during a specific test step.

We pulled the machine from the rotation and started experimenting with it. After a bit, we found out that if we turned off the TestComplete Indicator (which was located on top of the button that was failing), the test passed.

Some weird things with what is going on:

• That failing test isn't the only time that button is being clicked, and it's not the only time that we're interacting with something underneath the Indicator.
  • This doesn't happen on the other machines.

My understanding is that the indicator shouldn't interfere with test execution. Is that the case? And has anyone else ever had this sort of problem?

Our workaround at the moment is just turning the indicator off for that test, but it feels not great as a solution.

10 Replies

Marsha_R
    Champion Level 3

There are things you can do with the indicator, but what's the TestComplete error message that you get when the failure occurs. Let's see what information we get from that.

cmpenn
      Contributor

Ah yes, I forgot to post that:

There was an attempt to perform an action at point (621, 12) which is transparent or out of the window bounds.

Note that I am using the default click coordinates and the object appears to be visible.

I do have some slight concerns about timing with the new machine, but if that's the case, I'm confused on why hiding the indicator seems to have fixed that.

Marsha_R
        Champion Level 3

I would try using an object property rather than coordinates. That's best practice and it may also resolve the indicator issue.

• Hey cmpenn!

As Marsha said it would be helpful to see the Details of the failing test step.

One thought is that if the DPI of the OS is set to anything above or below 100%, this can/will cause odd issues with object recognition, you may check the DPI setting in the Display Settings to verify this is set to 100%.