Forum Discussion

JASmith
New Contributor
5 years ago
Solved

TestComplete and vsTest in DevOps, Test Agent throwing exceptions when project is integrated w/TFVC

Similar to https://community.smartbear.com/t5/TestComplete-General-Discussions/Failed-to-initialize-the-tfs-api-library/td-p/169418, the solution for whom is insufficient.

I've recently started trying to implement TestComplete tests as part of our DevOps Testing release pipeline.  I've currently got what is effectively a proof of concept test project in place; it doesn't do anying complex, just pushes some buttons and completes.  Everything operates as expected, except each time the release pipeline runs per agent I get a pop-up to the effect that the Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Client assembly cannot be loaded.  The entire process halts until this (And sometimes other, effecitvely identical) popup(s) are manually cleared. 

I understand from the previously linked post that this is due to my utilizing the in-client TFS Source Control integration, but that leaves me at an impasse.  If I remove that integration then the errors will disappear, but I'll have to find another, more error prone method of source control for this and future projects.  If I leave the integration in, my Automated testing suites will require manual intervention each time which is cumbersome and not scalable.

Is there any way to disable Source Control connection on startup, since there really is no need for it to connect just to run some tests?  Is there a separate process I could use to run these tests that wouldn't invoke the TestComplete client?

• 1) I daresay most of us work in a professional environment.  There are still many source control tools available.  If you are not able to choose your own, then that's another story.  Perhaps you can make a case for changing to a better one.

2) Here's where you can read about TestExecute.  It is licensed separately.

https://support.smartbear.com/testexecute/docs/index.html

5 Replies

Marsha_R
    Champion Level 3

1) How are other source control more error prone?  What have you tried and what happened?

2) Have you tried the run using TestExecute instead of TestComplete?  If so, what happened when you tried?

JASmith
      New Contributor

1) I didn't mean that other source control systems are more error prone, I meant that I would need to use a different process to include this project in source control; likely adding the project to an existant Visual Studio project and managing it through there, which has a number of problems.  This is in a professional environment, I don't have the luxury of using other source control systems.

2) I haven't tried that, as I'm not familiar with that product.  Is it included under a TestComplete floating license, or would that need to be licensed separately?

Marsha_R
        Champion Level 3

1) I daresay most of us work in a professional environment.  There are still many source control tools available.  If you are not able to choose your own, then that's another story.  Perhaps you can make a case for changing to a better one.

2) Here's where you can read about TestExecute.  It is licensed separately.

https://support.smartbear.com/testexecute/docs/index.html