Forum Discussion

jkutil
Occasional Contributor
9 years ago

TestComplete 11 can't launch Chrome

Currently running:

Windows 7 Enterprise, 64-bit Service Pack 1 (6.1 Build 7601)

TestComplete 11.11.1064.7

Chrome  46.0.2490.80 m

As the title says, TestComplete can't launch Chrome. If Chrome is already open, it can manipulate the pages, navigate to URLs, and verify that fields contain the right values. I've verified the TestComplete Extension is installed and enabled, and tried several help/support articles, but nothing seems to work.

It doesn't have a problem launching Firefox or IE though.

13 Replies

dmiscannon
    Frequent Contributor

I have the exact same setup and have no problems launching Chrome. I did notice that the TC plug-in for Chrome that I had installed was still for version 10, so I had to disable that one and enable the TC version 11 plug-in first before Chrome would launch.

How are you launching Chrome?

jkutil
      Occasional Contributor

Just verified the extension is for version 11.

As for how I'm launching Chrome, I've tried it both through the scripts 

Browsers.Item(btChrome).Run()

and then I've tried the KeywordTests RunBrowser command.

I even recorded an entire keywordtest (launch browser, navigate to url, login) to verify that everything was working. Only part of that script that failed was the opening of the browser, otherwise it seemed to be working as intended.

dmiscannon
        Frequent Contributor

By any chance, did you reinstall or update Chrome after installing TestComplete? The below is from TC's help

Since version 25, Chrome disables all third-party extensions upon installation or update. This is done to reduce the number of extensions that affect Chrome’s functionality and performance.

Since TestComplete interacts with Google Chrome via the TestComplete Chrome Extension, the latter is disabled as well. Therefore, in order to perform web testing in Chrome ver. 25 and later, you need to enable the extension manually