Forum Discussion

madhavisri01
Contributor
14 years ago

Test Complete Exceptions and crashes

Hello,

We have been using testcomplete for almost 8 months.We came across many exceptions and crashes during our script developement/test execution period.Attached are the screenshots of few errors.Most of the time we see "out of memory" error.This error will make the code disappear from the test complete editor.We will loose all the code(no code is available in .bak file also).We have version controlling tool  in our project and so we are able to get the previous copy of the code and edit them again.We need  to spent double the efforts on modifying the code whenever we face this error.It's unpredictable when this error occurs.Test compleet s a ver good tool and I am very much comfortable working with this tool.The only issue is with this "Alien Errors".Is there any solution for this issue?

Thanks,

Madhavi

2 Replies

• Hi Madhavi,

How much RAM is installed on the problematic machines? If the amount is smaller than 2 Gb, I strongly recommend that you install more memory on the machines. As for the errors you are facing, the "Test Complete Exception 2" screenshot shows the automatic dumper dialog. When the dialog appears for the next time, enable the "I would like to specify my contact info and get on-line support" option and send us the dump. As an alternative, you can zip the dump files located in the "C:\Documents and Settings\IN090472\Local Settings\Application Data\AutomatedQA\TestComplete\7.0\Logs\" folder and send them to us.

Also, here are the steps needed to help us collect additional information on the errors which do not make TestComplete show the dumper dialog:

1. Download a free trial version of AQtime 6, which is our profiling tool, from our web site. The trial can be requested on the following page of our web site:

http://www.automatedqa.com/downloads/aqtime/

2. Install the tool.

3. Start AQtime with the -NotOpenApp command-line argument. For example, you can use the following command line:

"c:\Program Files\Automated QA\AQtime 6\Bin\AQtime.exe" -NotOpenApp

4. Select the 'File | New Project From Module...' main menu item.

5. In the Open File dialog, select TestComplete's executable file and click Open.

6. Take a look at the AQtime toolbar - there is a combo box. Open it and select the "Tracing | Exception Trace Profiler" item.

7. Select the "Options | Options..." main menu command - the Options dialog will appear.

8. Set the "Profiling Time | Event View | General | Exceptions | Depth shown" setting to 100 and click OK.

9. Start TestComplete.

10. Click the Run | Attach to Process... main menu item in AQtime.

11. Select TestComplete's process from the list by double-clicking it and click Run in the dialog that appears after that.

12. Reproduce the problem.

13. After the problem occurs, right-click somewhere within the Event View panel (it is opened by default at the bottom of AQtime's window) and select the 'Save All...' item.

14. Save the panel's contents to an HTML file and send me the file via our Contact Support form:

http://www.automatedqa.com/support/message/

Thanks in advance.

• Allen,

We are using 3GB RAM and 3 GHZ processor.We often see these types of exceptions.I will follow your instructions and share the files with you.Thanks  for your support.

Regards,

Madhavi