Forum Discussion

ebodien
Contributor
14 years ago

TC 8 Log Change

With the change to TC8 I seem to have lost the ability for the Remarks section to be properly imported into Excel 2003,  all I see now is a file name *.htm.  I need to be able to print this data (from a manual test) as part of a test report.  The Log.ExtendedMessageAsPlainText seemed promising, but setting this attribute to True seemed to make no difference.

Set Attr = Log.CreateNewAttributes

Attr.ExtendedMessageAsPlainText = True

Call Log.Message(Message_Words, Remarks_Words, ,Attr)

Am I misunderstanding the use of ExtendedMessageAsPlainText?

Also is there a way to define an event (OnLogMessage?) such that all log calls will automatically have Remarks as plain text, I need to record comments made by the testers during a run as well.

Thanks for any help.

5 Replies

• Hi Eero,

We always recommend not to work with TestComplete files directly as their format can be changed without a prior warning as in this case.

With the change to TC8 I seem to have lost the ability for the Remarks section to be properly imported into Excel 2003,  all I see now is a file name *.htm.  I need to be able to print this data (from a manual test) as part of a test report.
    Could you please clarify exactly how you used the text from Remarks? Probably, I will be able to suggest you another solution.

Am I misunderstanding the use of ExtendedMessageAsPlainText?

The default value of this parameter is true. The extended message is now always saved in an individual HTML file.
    soda
    Contributor
    Just curious. Was there an upside to changing the design of the logging?  Now the log folder has hundreds(in my case) of .htm files storing the Remarks information.  Was this to offload some of the parsing done for the TestLog.xml?  Will we see improved performance in log rendering or some sort of other benefit?  Thanks.  Mark
  • Greetings David,

I was using the Remarks field in a couple of ways.  The first was to record a requirement ID associated with a the test step.  The second way was to record information, via the "Post Comments to the log" function, specific to the current test run.  The final way was to record justification/observations for failed steps.  In the first case I can move the data from the Remarks field into the regular log, but for the second and third I'm not aware of a good work around.  I am limited by the fact that I must generate a paper document rather than simply including the .mht file.

Allow me to restate my question with respect to the ExtendedMessageAsPlainText parameter.  Does this feature:

a) Affect only the format of the .htm file used to save the Remarks field

b) return the Remarks field to the old format (TC7) that does not use .htm files to record the remarks

c) other

Thanks,

Eero

• Hi Eero,

a) Affect only the format of the .htm file used to save the Remarks field 

b) return the Remarks field to the old format (TC7) that does not use .htm files to record the remarks

c) other

This field does not affect the format of the generated HTM file. The file is generated regardless of the value of this property. We will consider not generating these files in case Remarks does not have any text or if the message is in the plain text format.

In the meantime, you can get the name of the HTM file containing the needed message and read the value from this file.

• Hi Mark,

As I have already mentioned, we will not generate empty HTM files in the future. In general, the benefit of having individual files is avoiding storing of large messages within a single XML file. Since it is possible to post HTML messages to Remarks now, such a message can be quite large.