Forum Discussion

chrisb
Regular Contributor
10 years ago

Source control workflows.

Hi,

I would like to use the source control integration but so far it seems to me that is just doesnt support a realistic concurrent test development workflow. For a single user, sure it works. 

The fundamental problem is that when modifying some file types in Test Complete there are dependencies that also need to get checked out to get updated.

For example when adding  a new script you must check out Script.tcScript. This leads to some interesting problems...

Workflow 1.

1.       Developer A adds a new script and leaves script checked out.

2.       Developer A checks in just the Script.tcScript file.

3.       Developer B loads project into Test Complete

Issue: Error message displayed indicating that Developers B project does not contain the script file that was added by developer A.

So then I tried this workaround....

1.       Developer A adds a new script.

2.       Developer A checks in the new blank script and the Script.tcScript file.

3.       Developer A checks out the new script to continue working on script.

4.       Developer B loads project into Test Complete.

Issue:  Developer B now sees the blank script file checked into project. We are checking in empty or half finished work into project. 

Adding other project files such as tables gets really interesting as you now need to go figure out which other files in the project have been modified too.

Has anyone had any actual experience of succesful concurrent test development in Test Complete using the source control integration? At this point in time we've resorted to doing all source control outside of Test Complete using the source control client which is also a pain because now we have to understand / remember that updates to some project file types also causes updates to depenencies, but at least we dont have to deal with the workflow dictated by the Test Complete IDE..
No RepliesBe the first to reply