stref
Occasional Contributor
15 years ago

Simple Internet Explorer login dialog recording fails

1. Start a new project

2. Add iexplore as a TestedApp

3. Start a Keyword recording

4. Run iexplore from the TestedApps dropdown on the recording toolbar

5. When the browser appears enter http://training.falafel.com/password as the URL in the address bar

6. Enter Username: falafeltc and Password: training

7. Run the test, which fails

The test fails to record browsing to the URL entered in step 5 above.

I'm aware of the workarounds and how to correct for this problem but wanted to point out the issue here.

Thanks,

-Steve

6 Replies

vallabh_chitnis
    Occasional Contributor
    Yes, Test Complete fails to record the URL. The reason is when Internet Explorer is added under 'Tested Apps', the parameters passed by default are 'None'.

Ideally Test Complete should include the paramters used while recording.

A good enhancement request for AutomatedQA for upcoming Test Complete Release.

- Vallabh Chitnis
  • Hello Steve,

I suppose that the problem is caused by the fact that the ToUrl method was not recorded. This happened as you hadn't performed any actions on the page. Try to continue recording actions with the page that will be opened after the authorization and let me know if the problem persists.

stref
    Occasional Contributor
    Hi Alex,
      Actually, that's sort of my point. ToUrl isn't valid in this context because the page is only partially downloaded when the login dialog appears so it would never work in this example.

Give it a try it's a rather troublesome scenario for TC to try and capture. I find that it requires hand coding to deal with this scenario. I'd love to see if there is some way to get a recording to work correctly.

Vallabh,

This really has nothing to do with parameters being passed to IE. The real issue here is that TC never records the Navigate command which is what would have to be used in this instance as ToUrl will hang the test. Again, I'd like to see a situation where this gets recorded correctly. At present, I don't think this is possible and I've tried lots of things, hand coding is required.

HTH,

-Steve

• Hi Steve,

Actually, that's sort of my point. ToUrl isn't valid in this context because the page is only partially downloaded when the login dialog appears so it would never work in this example.

You are right. The ToUrl method was not recorded as the page had not been loaded completely and you had not performed any actions on the page. We have decided to implement the method in such a way as this allows getting the correct and valid URL. This prevents errors related to entering incorrect URLs during recording. It seems your case is not an ordinary one. You need to add the ToUrl method to your recorded script manually or continue recording actions over the page in order TestComplete to record the method.

stref
    Occasional Contributor

<blockquote>It seems your case is not an ordinary one. </blockquote>

IMO, there's nothing special about this testcase it's just that it uses the browser's login dialog.

Btw, do you guys have a different UI than regular users as I see no way to quote a previous message as you did in your reply above. Am I missing something?

-Steve

• Hi Steve,

As far as I know, you have already found a way to test a page with a login dialog by using the Navigate method. The corresponding sreencast is located here.

As for using quotations in messages, currently, you can use the 'quote' UBB tag to highlight the needed text. In the future, we are planning to improve the UI of our forum so users can process the text of their messages easier.