Forum Discussion

sriguda
Frequent Contributor
9 years ago

Selecting Item from Combo box through Click Item operation is not working

Hi,

I have TestComplete Version: 10.60.3387.7 version.

I am Clicking on the Combobox drop down and selecting a specific item from the drop down with Click Item operation.

This was working perfectly fine for few months but  when I execute it recently, it doesn't select that item at all.

Selecting specific item is very crucial in this script. I am not sure if I updated TestComplete Version when it prompted or why exactly this is isn't working like before.

Please sugget me a solution to this.

I have attatched the screen shot of lines of statements in Keyword test.

The medication I am selecting in the screen shot is : used wild card where ever there is a possibility of change in numbers

Amitriptyline 10mg #100 - *, 50436307105, Lot#* Qty(*)

4 Replies

AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3

Hi,

> This was working perfectly fine for few months but  when I execute it recently [...]

Just a guess:

wasn't your web application modified since tests were executed for the last time or aren't you trying to execute tests on the browser that you did not execute them on previously (e.g. tests were always executed on IE and now you tried them with FF) ?

The reason why I'm asking is because I saw the cases when the conbo-boxes were implemented not as a usual <select>, but as a combination of textbox (or even check-box without values) and some separate list window that was opened when the textbox was focused (usually via some jscript on the page). Obviously, in these cases TestComplete was not able to select an item from such 'combo-box' because it had no idea where to look for the list with available options. If this is the case (use Object Browser to verify this), then you will have to manually search for the list window after the main combo-box window was clicked and manually click the required element in the found window.

sriguda
      Frequent Contributor

Hi Alex,

The application has not been changed on this page or with the item selection from the combobox.  I executed on the same version of IE Browser as I did before.

I enter the letters like "Amit" (used Keys function) and it filters out names and select the required item form the list(used Click Item function).

This was working absolutely fine for atleat 5 to 6 releases. Now it doesn't work.

If anything I would say that our development team updated the Telerik version on the application or I might have updated the TestComplete Version when it promted.

Now if I update TestComplete version, will the existing scripts work as they were before or do I need to verify if they work or not again?

I don't like to select manually and would prefer to select from the list items as beforre. please suggest.

AlexKaras
        Champion Level 3

Hi,

> if I update TestComplete version, will the existing scripts work as they were before 

As with any update, you are always in risk that something will go wrong, so the ages-old routine to backup-upgrade-check-rollback_if_necessary is still actual.

However, personally I can hardly recollect when my script code stopped to work after TestComplete upgrade.

> updated the Telerik version 

Might it be that this version of Telerik or its specific controls is not supported? http://support.smartbear.com/viewarticle/73239/

Have you checked how the problematic combo-box is implemented on the web page?

If it is still regular <select> html tag, then I would recommend to raise a Support ticket (http://support.smartbear.com/message/?prod=TestComplete).

If the control is implemented as a compound one (e.g. mentioned combination of textbox and standalone list) then I am afraid that you will have to handle it manually.