Forum Discussion

9 years ago

Scripting Tests

Hi all, I am complete new to TestComplete. I have a task in hand due to which I have to learn this. I want to know the difference between 'Recording a Script test' and 'Writing Scripts from the scratch'. I am more interested in the latter using JScript as my scripting language. 

Please guide me how to design scripts from the scratch with best design tactics. Any help will be highly appreciated.

2 Replies

NisHera
    Valued Contributor

Recording scripts are you just running application and testcomplete recordes and play what you did.
    But each AUT and focus of testing is unique. So to have comprehensive test suite you may have to
    write test from scratch. for example there is no way of recording if something is true do A else do B
    Or loop through 10 times same thing
    So writing or developing test your self is superior to just recording. But it's time consuming and much planning is
    involved. What worked for me at initial stage is first record the peace of scripts then modify according to my need.
    What I would recommend at this stage is
    1) select simple isolated test
    2) record one step at a time
    3) Modify those to suite to you and try to join those steps using scripting language you use.
    4) Slowly build up /expand your tests.

good luck..!