Forum Discussion

fbordalo
Occasional Contributor
5 years ago
Solved

Script works, setting breakpoint complains about unable to find the object

When I execute the script without a breakpoint, the script completes successfully. However, if I set a breakpoint after the flex/flash log in screen, click on locals in debug to view the variables, nothing happens and after a while I get 'Unable to find the object that match the "userLoginPanel" item' popup wizard. When I click on the popup cancel or retry buttons, TC is unresponsive for a long time and I have to kill it.

If I don't click on locals to view the variables, I can step through the code.

TC version 12.10.602 running in windows 10 hyper-v. I'm using firefox version 60.1 with flash 29.

I have verified that righ click>Show in Object Browser from Aliases tree works.

Thanks for the support,

Fred

• Hi,

It is my understanding that Locals pane implements a kind of 'lazy evaluation' in order to speed things up.

I.e., when test script stops on a breakpoint with Locals pane visible, TestComplete starts evaluation of all local variables to get their values. If a variable references some UI element, TestComplete tries to get a reference to it and, if the object does not exist, then TestComplete tries to re-evaluate it (via search through the UI objects hierarchy, which is time consuming, but this is your case).

I would recommend to not keep Locals pane visible unless you need it and hide it (switch to some other pane) before resuming script execution.

3 Replies

AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3

Hi,

It is my understanding that Locals pane implements a kind of 'lazy evaluation' in order to speed things up.

I.e., when test script stops on a breakpoint with Locals pane visible, TestComplete starts evaluation of all local variables to get their values. If a variable references some UI element, TestComplete tries to get a reference to it and, if the object does not exist, then TestComplete tries to re-evaluate it (via search through the UI objects hierarchy, which is time consuming, but this is your case).

I would recommend to not keep Locals pane visible unless you need it and hide it (switch to some other pane) before resuming script execution.

fbordalo
      Occasional Contributor

Just have to use the old style of debugging -- print statements. :(