Forum Discussion

pf1
New Contributor
2 years ago
Solved

Running GUI tests on a remote windows EC2 instance without using remote desktop connection

Hello SmartBear community!

I want to know whether it is possible to achieve what I have described in the subject line. I have found that I can execute my TestComplete tests (which are being used to test a websites UI) whilst the remote desktop connection window is minimised (achieved by following this guide: Running Tests in Minimized Remote Desktop Windows | TestComplete Documentation (smartbear.com))

I want to know if is possible to execute the tests (using a task scheduler) on the EC2 instance when NOT connected to it via remote desktop connection. The issue seems to be that the tests require a GUI to execute properly. Is there a workaround for this? 

6 Replies

Marsha_R
    Champion Level 3

TestComplete mimics what a human would do to run its tests. If you were executing your test steps manually, how would you get to that EC2 instance without a remote desktop connection? 

pf1
      New Contributor

The EC2 continues to "live" without the remote connection. I was able to verify this by running the execution plan which ran to completion despite having closed my connection to it by terminating the remote desktop connection. 

The issue appears when the test requires the simulated user input ie. entering a password or clicking a button. Essentially, I want to know is it possible to run GUI tests without the GUI? I was looking into SessionCreator but I'm not sure if this would meet my needs.

Marsha_R
        Champion Level 3

Yes, it continues, but can you actually type anything from your side without the Remote Desktop? I believe the answer is no.

TestComplete has to have some way to contact the EC2. Either it is installed on the EC2, in which case it runs locally, or if it is on another machine, then you need Remote Desktop.

SessionCreator requires Remote Desktop too.

https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/working-with/automating/session-creator/index.html

Can you explain how you picture TestComplete running on a different machine without it being able to connect to the other machine?