Forum Discussion

steven_han
New Contributor
14 years ago

Running GUI tests on Amazon Cloud

Hi,

I'm trying to run GUI tests on Amazon Cloud.  The only way I know how to connect to Amazon machines is via RDP.  However, when I close or minimize the RDP session, the objects are not recognized.  I understand this is the inherent problem with RDP.  Is there other method of connection that will allow me to run GUI tests even after I disconnect from the machine?

Here is the real problem.  I have many instances running at once in the Amazon Cloud.  I don't wish to have tens of RDP connections running at the same time on my local machine just to make these tests run.  These tests often run overnight and if my machine powers down, then I've lost a day of testing.  My machine powering down is not the only problem with running multiple RDP on my machine.  There must be a solution to this problem.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

11 Replies

steven_han
    New Contributor
    Alexei,

Thanks for the replay, but unfortunately there are no postings regarding this specific problem.  I did find in another post that I can alter my registry to allow GUI tests to continue while minimizing RDP, but will not help in cases where my machine is powered down or logged out.
    AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3
    Hi Steven,

Yes, this is correct. Powering machine down, as well as logging out or network connectivity problems break GUI testing via RDP.

• Hi Steven,

Try to use one of your cloud computer as a control machine that will connect to other cloud computers where tests will be executed via RDP. I suppose that in this case, you can turn off your personal computer.
    steven_han
    New Contributor
    Hi David,

That is a really interesting solution to my problem.  The one downside to your solution is that I have to maintain one additional machine on Amazon to make this system work.

The good news is that I have found an application/service that will allow me to both log into the machines, yet not disable the GUI object detection when I disconnect from the machines, which in turn will allow me to run my tests without the RDP and without having to maintain any open connection.  The best part is that this service is free (although they have pay services).  Thanks for all your help.
    AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3
    Hi Steven,

Any chance that you provide us with the link to this fantastic service? :)
  • F.e.

For preparing you need 1 PC (VM or phisical not important ) for all RDP

Please try to use next cases:

1. Connect to this PC via RDP

2. Open in that RDP next RDP for running you test etc.

3. Off your PC

look attach

If this work - let me know
      mgroen2
      Super Contributor

Interesting, but you will need a TestComplete floating license for that, to be able to work with this setup right?

I mean, this won't work if you use a node locked license on a physical machine, right?

Regards,

Mathijs

AlexKaras
        Champion Level 3

Hi Mathijs,

I think that if the 'controller' machine that you are connecting to at step 1 is a physical machine with installed node-locked TestComplete, then it should work.

Obviously, all other machines controlled from the 'controller' must have floating licenses if they (machines) are virtual ones.