Forum Discussion

shenyusun
Contributor
8 years ago
Solved

Run desktop application on a different machine

I have a test complete project suite that run completely fine on machine 1. I copied entire project suite to machine 2, and the. Run the tests. The test failed because it could not fine the object. Did I miss something? Do I have to re-map the objects?
Thank you in advance!
  • Do you have same configuration on your both the Machine-

Like -

1- TestComplete version.

2- Operating System

3- You Application Version (UAT)

4- If Web Application then Browser Version etc..

because we have running test on several machine and did not face any issue related to object (Platform should be same on all machine) 

Re-map the objects - is not a very good idea all the time, if your objects (NameMapping) is very huge and running on deferent machines.

5 Replies

Bobik
    Frequent Contributor

I don't think that full remapping is a good choice. Usually in the log you can find name of object that was not found.
    Find this object in NameMapping tree and try to understand what properties don't match. Then change their values to correct. You can use wildcards (? or *) to ignore part of the value.

Also TestComplete 12.10 has feature that helps to update bad mapped properties directly from log. See "Object recognition hint" warning.

Ravik
    Super Contributor

Do you have same configuration on your both the Machine-

Like -

1- TestComplete version.

2- Operating System

3- You Application Version (UAT)

4- If Web Application then Browser Version etc..

because we have running test on several machine and did not face any issue related to object (Platform should be same on all machine) 

Re-map the objects - is not a very good idea all the time, if your objects (NameMapping) is very huge and running on deferent machines.

tristaanogre
      Esteemed Contributor

I'm with Bobik on this... something environmental is different on the second machine causing the object to not be found. NameMapping depends upon certain properties of objects in order to find them. So, if those properties are different on a different machine, then the object may not be found properly.

Additionally, the second machine MAY run things slower than the first... so, it might be that the second machine actually timed out looking for the object (10 seconds is the default usually) and so reported the object as not found.  Double check time stamps on things to see if there is a possibility of a timeout.

• Thank you guys for the inputs!

The issue is now resolved.

The issue was that the application has the same configuration, but did not have the same window color, which cause all the objects' name changed.

After modified the windows color theme to classic, and reboot the machine,  now TC was able to find the objects.

Thanks again!

tristaanogre
      Esteemed Contributor

Glad to hear that it's been resolved!  That's good news.

Just as a side note... it just feels like a rather strange design that the Windows theme actually alters the names of the components of the application. I know that applications do that... but it just feels weird.  Just my $0.02