Forum Discussion

kevans99
New Contributor
7 years ago

Quetions about HTML/HTML5, Testing on multiple computers, and Browser Testing

I have questions about the following:
1. Does HTML/HTML5 testing capabilities come built into TestComplete or does it require interfacing with another SmartBear tool or other extensions? If so, I would assume that a license would be needed for that tool.

2. Can I kick off a test from my computer on someone elses computer. If so, do I or can I use their test host/agent? Or does this require Network Suite and if so is this included with TestComplete? Or does it require interfacing with another SmartBear tool and requires additional licenses?

3. Can I test across multiple browsers without interfacing with the Cross-Browser tool? My thinking is that to test multiple browsers with out the Cross-Browser tool I would only be able run one test at a time for each browser and I would have to have multiple test scripts one for each browse? However, with the Cross-Browser tool I could run one test script to run across multiple browsers. Is this correct? I would assume that I would need a license for the Cross-Browser tool as well. 

2 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

kevans99 wrote:

I have questions about the following:
    1. Does HTML/HTML5 testing capabilities come built into TestComplete or does it require interfacing with another SmartBear tool or other extensions? If so, I would assume that a license would be needed for that tool.

If you have the Web license for TestComplete, you can test any web page.  From the help:

Technologies and Frameworks

TestComplete interacts with web applications through their GUI displayed in web browsers, that is, the client side of applications. GUI testing does not depend on the application’s server-side implementation. You can test web applications developed with any programming language, server-side technology, and frameworks, including (but not limited to):

• HTML, DHTML, CSS, JavaScript
    • HTML5
    • AngularJS
    • ASP
    • ASP.NET (including Web Pages, Web Forms and MVC)
    • Ajax
    • Backbone.js
    • CGI
    • JavaServer Pages (JSP)
    • PHP
    • Ruby on Rails

The entire procedure – test recording, editing and running – does not depend on the server technology. To learn how TestComplete works, read the Web Testing Tutorial and then try to record and run tests on your tested web pages.

kevans99 wrote:

2. Can I kick off a test from my computer on someone elses computer. If so, do I or can I use their test host/agent? Or does this require Network Suite and if so is this included with TestComplete? Or does it require interfacing with another SmartBear tool and requires additional licenses?

Using the Network suite feature of TestComplete, you can launch a test from your machine to execute on another machine so long as the other machine has either TestComplete or TestExecute installed and you have sufficient licenses available. Note, however, that this means that the target machine is then engaged in automated testing and should not be utilized by a user... no keystrokes/mouse clicks since the UI is engaged by the testing.

Other options are to use a tool like QA Complete, Jenkins, etc., to schedule test runs against remote machines/VM's.  Again, installation and licensing is required and the similar restrictions as to if you can use that machine.  

kevans99 wrote:

3. Can I test across multiple browsers without interfacing with the Cross-Browser tool? My thinking is that to test multiple browsers with out the Cross-Browser tool I would only be able run one test at a time for each browser and I would have to have multiple test scripts one for each browse? However, with the Cross-Browser tool I could run one test script to run across multiple browsers. Is this correct? I would assume that I would need a license for the Cross-Browser tool as well. 

Yes, you can.  Basically, as you point out, you would need to build into your tests to run your tests against each browser somehow.  One of the best ways to do so is to build a Browser loop.  Follow that link for specifics... generally, if you go to https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/app-testing/web/general/cross-browser/about.html#creating-cross-browser-tests you'll get all the information in overview.  

As you noted, though, using the integrated Environment Manager/CrossBrowser Testing tool, you can run a set of tests in parallel in multiple environments.  You would still need to make sure you account for differences from browser to browser in your test cases (for example, certain browser pop-up windows are handled differently in Chrome than they are in IE) so you should still incorporate into your test cases some sort of intelligence in that line of things.

kevans99
      New Contributor

Thank you very much for the info.  Very helpful.