Forum Discussion

WB
Occasional Contributor
13 years ago

Question in WCF service - please pour your comments

Hi , 

please pour all your comments as any comments may trigger a solution for me.

Need your patience and knowledge to understand this:

Prior to the Latest  release of TC which has the WCF service automation capability,  I was able to automate testing a NATIVE MSMQ SERVICE by :

1- dropping a proper XML message onto my Client's outgoing queue,   

A- then the message was forwarded to the inbound queue of the corresponding Service.  

B- The message was then picked up by the corresponding service and updated the dbase accordingly

2- Then I do check the backend for the expected results and at that time I know if the service worked or not

3- End of Automation of my NATIVE MSMQ SERVICE

Question:

I never tried to automate a WCF service because I kept reading the WCF was not supported prior to this new version , so  I did not even attempt to automate a WCF service assuming there was no WCF capablity in TC at that time.

Now that the new version of TC supports the WCF service,  I still do not know what should change in my code for NATIVE MSMQ SVC  (above steps) if any to automate the WCF sercices? 

Its very confusing because to me it seems like I can do the same steps 1-3 as above to automate the WCF services.  Am I not right? if i am right, then i could have automate the WCF services even before this new TC version!!!  If I am not right , then what do I do differently to the steps above (1-3() to accomodate for WCF services?

What am I missing ......Please help

Thanks to you all

5 Replies

irina_lukina
    Super Contributor

Hi,

As far as I know, an answer to your question depends on the binding type used by your WCF service.

1. If your service uses either the basicHttpBinding or wsHttpBinding binding to communicate with client applications, you can change your tests so that they worked with the web service via TestComplete's special objects, their methods and properties.

2. If your service doesn't use any of the mentioned bindings, you should keep using the approach you described.

For more information on testing WCF services with TestComplete, please refer to the WCF Services - Specifics of Testing help topic.

I hope this information helps :)

WB
    Occasional Contributor
    Thanks Irina,

I do appreciate you comments:  here is what I know , and plus another related question.

we use basicHttpBinding or wsHttpBinding binding which from your comments seems to fall in the #2 category , i.e. "use the same method that i am already using to automate my wcf services"

From your post,  please corrtect me if i am wrong:       Is it safe to say that the the new WCF feature in New TC version is applicable only if we are using the the binding methods that you explained in your post , in section item#1?

Thanks so much

WB
    WB
    Occasional Contributor
    Sorry Please ignore my previous post.  Here is the correct reply to your post

Thanks Irina,

I do appreciate you comments:  here is what I know , and plus another related question.

we use NetMSMQ and NetTCP  binding which from your comments seems to fall in the #2 category , i.e. "use the same method that i am already using to automate my wcf services"

From your post,  please corrtect me if i am wrong:       Is it safe to say that the the new WCF feature in New TC version is applicable only if we are using the the binding methods that you explained in your post , in section item#1?

Thanks so much

WB
    irina_lukina
    Super Contributor

Hi,

Is it safe to say that the the new WCF feature in New TC version is applicable only if we are using the the binding methods that you explained in your post , in section item#1?

Yes, TestComplete 8.70 supports testing the WCF services that use either the basicHttpBinding or wsHttpBinding binding to communicate with client applications. Other WCF services aren't supported.

WB
    Occasional Contributor
    Thanks for the input.  I will try it and see what happens.

WB