Forum Discussion

Ryu
Contributor
6 years ago
Solved

Python in TestComplete - having trouble importing psutil

I am trying to import the psutil library for use in my tests with the following:

import sys
sys.path.insert(0, "C:\\Python\\Python36-32\\Lib\\site-packages\\psutil\\psutil-5.4.5-cp35-cp35m-win32.whl")

import psutil

Every time, I will get this error:

Python runtime error. ImportError: cannot import name '_psutil_windows'

I get the same error if I point PATH to the residing folder instead of the .whl file.  I get a "module not found" error if I point PATH to the site-packages folder.  What am I doing wrong?

Version info:

TC Version 12.5

TC Python Version: 3.6.0

Local Python Version: 3.6.0

pip version: 10.0.1 

psutil version: 5.4.5

• So, in case anyone was wondering, I had one our devs in my office helping me figure it out and we found that I just wasn't pointing to the correct folder.  It is working now.  Took the two of us 5 hours to figure that out, after much trial and error.

8 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

What bit-wise version of TestComplete are you running (check Help | About)?  Based upon the path that you're using, you're trying to import and use a 32-bit library.  If you're using the 64-bit TestComplete installation, this could be the cause of your problem.

The 64-bit version and 32-bit version of TestComplete are installed simultaneously on a machine.  

64-bit -> C:\Program Files (x86)\SmartBear\TestComplete 12\x64\bin\TestComplete.exe

32-bit -> C:\Program Files (x86)\SmartBear\TestComplete 12\bin\TestComplete.exe

Ryu
      Contributor

Hi, tristaanogre,

I have tried both bit-wise versions of TestComplete and get the same error in both.

tristaanogre
        Esteemed Contributor

Is it possible that psutil has dependencies that are not imported into TestComplete?  Quick google query shows it to be a free-ware/open source utility so there may be dependencies that are not compatible or work with TestComplete.

Ryu
    Contributor

tristaanogre

I have tried copying over to the TC folders and using just the path instead of the wheel file.  Copying over to the folders gives me a "can't find module" error and changing the path to the file path gives me the same error as in the original post.  :(

tristaanogre
      Esteemed Contributor

At this point, you're beyond me... I don't know Python.  Others up here perhaps can help.  You could also send a message directly to TestComplete support to see if this is something they can assist with.

Ryu
    Contributor

So, in case anyone was wondering, I had one our devs in my office helping me figure it out and we found that I just wasn't pointing to the correct folder.  It is working now.  Took the two of us 5 hours to figure that out, after much trial and error.

tristaanogre
      Esteemed Contributor

OK, just gotta say...  I've been there, done that..   multiple hours trying to debug something that turns out to be a simple little problem.

Glad that you got it worked out!  thanks for updating us!