Forum Discussion

Diceman
Occasional Contributor
8 years ago
Solved

Page not found leads to "Object Required" Error. How to execute alternative steps instead?

Given the following code, I am able to open Internet Explorer to "about:blank" and the script, when run, will log a 1.   However, if I change the page to an alternative page, the function crashes.   I cannot get it to log a 2.   How do I have TestComplete perform some alternative steps in the event that a page doesn't exist?

function Test(){
if(Sys.Browser("iexplore").Page("about:blank").Exists)
{
Log.Message("1");
}
else{
Log.Message("2");
}
}

•  

The problem is TestComplete looks for the exist property of  Page("about:blank") it's there so you get log 1

But when TC looks for exist property of Page("alternative page") , it is looking a property in non existant object. so it crash.

To avode that you can use "WaitAliasChild" Method this will waite for defined time and then 

If the specified object does not exist, the method returns a stub object with "exist =False"

you can arrange your function like below

function Test(){
    if(Sys.Browser("iexplore").WaitAliasChild("alternative page", 10000).Exists )
    {
    Log.Message("1");
    }
    else{
    Log.Message("2");
    }
    }

However you may have to map the "alternative page" in name mappings.

If calling URL you can use  TestObj.WaitPage(URLTimeout) method.

for more information pl refer...this and this

3 Replies

NisHera
    Valued Contributor

The problem is TestComplete looks for the exist property of  Page("about:blank") it's there so you get log 1

But when TC looks for exist property of Page("alternative page") , it is looking a property in non existant object. so it crash.

To avode that you can use "WaitAliasChild" Method this will waite for defined time and then 

If the specified object does not exist, the method returns a stub object with "exist =False"

you can arrange your function like below

function Test(){
    if(Sys.Browser("iexplore").WaitAliasChild("alternative page", 10000).Exists )
    {
    Log.Message("1");
    }
    else{
    Log.Message("2");
    }
    }

However you may have to map the "alternative page" in name mappings.

If calling URL you can use  TestObj.WaitPage(URLTimeout) method.

for more information pl refer...this and this

tristaanogre
      Esteemed Contributor

Minor correction, since the code doesn't use Aliases, WaitPage is the better method since you are SPECIFICALLY waiting for a page

But then, to totally turn that into a universal function to use for ANYTHING

function WaitForMyPage(pageUrl){
      if(Sys.Browser("iexplore").WaitPage(pageUrl, 1, 10000).Exists )
      {
      Log.Message("1");
      }
      else{
      Log.Message("2");
      }
      }

function foo(){
         WaitForMyPage('http://www.google.com/'); //will log a 1 if the google page is open, 2 if anything else is open
      }