Forum Discussion

peter_sam
New Contributor
8 years ago
Solved

Object browser on distributed tests

TestComplete has the "Object Browser" e.g. to trouble shoot (Window) objects in the case if tests are failing.

I run my tests distributed on several operating systems and languages with TestExecute and sometimes they are failing, because objects have different properties.

How can I browse the objects on those PCs? What is the best tool? TestExecute does not include the "Object Browser", right?

Peter

6 Replies

Marsha_R
    Champion Level 3

Correct.  TestExecute is for running the tests without the TestComplete UI.   

We've used a few different ways depending on the test machine.  

If the test machine is visible on the network, then you can open TestComplete wherever it is and browse to the project on the test machine.

Second choice would be to copy that test project onto a drive somewhere that TC can see it and browse to open it.

Last resort is to temporarily install TC on the test machine in order to open the project.  We don't use this one much because our TE runs on virtual machines and it's generally a waste of time to install it on a VM that will disappear in a few hours.  

peter_sam
      New Contributor

Hi Marsha_R,

thank you for your reply.

Probably we misunderstood each other. What exactly do you mean with: "...the test machine is visible on the network..."?

I did not want to browse the test project with TC but I want to browse the (window) objects of the processes running on the test machine, like:

Meanwhile I found some other tools like "WinSpy", "Spy++" or a tool that is included in the "AutoIt" scripting program named "Au3Info.exe".

I wanted to know whether there is something included in TestComplete or TestExecute - without installing TC on the test maching - as you suggested as the last but not recommended possibility.

Marsha_R
        Champion Level 3

I think you're stuck with putting TC on the test machine.  We tend to run with TC until we are sure of the test and then leave it to TE once it is stable.