Forum Discussion

Jyotiprakash
Occasional Contributor
2 years ago
Solved

Not able to read nextline in paragraph using vbscript nextline commands (i.e vbnewline,vbclrf etc).

I am using vbscript language and I have converted pdf to text and all the texts are stored in a varieble . Now I Want each words to get stored  in a array or list. For that I am spliting them and storing. But Splitting for nextline is not working. when I am using vbscript commands like  vbnewline,vbclrf etc to read nextline in text its

not reading them. Its able to print two texts in next line, but If I want to read nextline character its not reading at all.

• You need to check what character(s) is between Business Use and Name: APMP-00004707, as it could be either vbCr, vbCrLf or vbLf. I've never used PDF.ConvertToText() method, so I don't know what it uses for return line.

Once you have figured out the character, then you can store each line into an array

6 Replies

rraghvani
    Champion Level 3

Here's a small example,

Sub main()
        myString = "TestComplete is a functional automated testing platform developed by SmartBear Software." & vbCrLf _
            & "TestComplete gives testers the ability to create automated tests for Microsoft Windows, Web, Android, and iOS applications."

myWord = Split(myString, vbCrLf)
        for each word in myWord
            Log.Message(word)
        next
    End Sub

There's plenty of references on the internet, if you do a search

Jyotiprakash
      Occasional Contributor

You have inserted vbclrf  in your string example.

After converting a pdf to text using pdftotext method. the data is getting stored and coming  in nextline.

String = "TestComplete is a functional
                automated testing platform 
                developed by SmartBear Software
                TestComplete gives testers the ability to create automated 
                tests for Microsoft Windows, Web, Android, and iOS applications"

Now here This vbclrf or vbnewline is not working at all. Here how can I read nextline character.

rraghvani
    Champion Level 3

In this example,

I'm reading the clipboard text that I've copied from Notepad++. I'm showing all characters which include CR and LF.

I'm using the Split method to split each line; you can also perform another Split to split each word, and then insert vbCrLf.

It's important that the string is formatted correctly, to perform string manipulation

Jyotiprakash
      Occasional Contributor

I have a  PDF which has a tabular data ,After doing   c1= PDF.ConvertToText(path1) , when I am displaying my data then it is coming like this.(This is the Screenshot of data which has been read by Testcomplete)

Now I need each word to get stored in array in vbscript.

As per your above response then testcomplete is generating wrong format of data its a bug then.

Otherwise there has to be some solution.Having said that Testcomplete is not reading vbscript nextline characters like vbcrlf ,vbnewline etc , where as in javascript It is reading "\n" But I want in Vbscript.

rraghvani
    Champion Level 3

You need to check what character(s) is between Business Use and Name: APMP-00004707, as it could be either vbCr, vbCrLf or vbLf. I've never used PDF.ConvertToText() method, so I don't know what it uses for return line.

Once you have figured out the character, then you can store each line into an array