Forum Discussion

slecault
Contributor
13 years ago

Non-regression tests - How to compare

I am testing a windows based application coded in Delphi. I know I can use checkpoints to validate precise informations. 

My concern/question is how to detect a change in the output? 

For one given screen, there are several thousands of properties, a checkpoint is nice but what about the rest?  Are there some commands that compare more stuff at a time.  How do other testers approach this issue?

Thanks

1 Reply

AlexeyK
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Stephane,

The properties to be checked depend on the task your test accomplishes. For example:

If the test should check the controls' data, you check the properties that return the data (e.g. Text).

If the test should check the font name and size, you verify values of the font-related properties.

If the test should check the controls' lay-out on a form, you can check the properties that specify the control's position and size (Left, Height, Top, Width).

A possible approach is to capture an image of the tested form and compare it against a base-line image. You can do this with region checkpoints. Differences between the images will indicate that something changed in the form. You can use masks to exclude variable parts from the image comparison. For instance, if you are not interested in the control's text, you can "mask" the text areas.