Forum Discussion

RichBopp
Contributor
2 years ago
Solved

New To Branching - Documents on SmartBear Support Very Confusing

Hello All,

So our team is new to GIT Branching, and the documentation provided by SmartBear is very, very, very - confusing.

This is what I've deduced:

1 - Open TestComplete.

2 – Using ‘Source Control’ – Clone the desired Repository.

3 – Using ‘Source Control’ - Create a ‘Local Branch’ - (Which is stored on the user’s PC).

4 – Using ‘Source Control’ - Checkout the ‘Local Branch’. The one checked out will be highlighted in bold.

5 - Make all desired changes.

6 – Using ‘Source Control’ - Commit the changes to the ‘Local Branch’ - (Can commit to your ‘Local Branch’ multiple times until finished making changes).

7 – Using ‘Source Control’ - Merge your changes with the ‘Local Master’ – (Can also merge multiple times to your ‘Local Master’).

8 – When done making all changes - Using ‘Source Control’ - Delete the Local Branch which was created to avoid confusion later.

9 - Using ‘Source Control’ - ???Push/Merge?? your changes to the Remote Master of the Repository.

10 – Delete the Cloned Repository. You’ll want to Clone a new copy later so you not only have your changes but also everyone else’s.

So is this correct? And what is the 'right' way to get my changes back to the Remote Master (Step 9)?

• Understand the difference between Git and GitHub and decided where you want to host your repository so that your team can easily access it.

Then read and understand Learn the Basics of Git in Under 10 Minutes.

Once you know what each git command does, you should then be able to use the git toolbar in TC.

I use source control called Team Foundation Server (TFS). I've created a project locally; this project is then checked-in to TFS (first initial version). My colleagues will then get the latest source files from TFS, so that they can work locally on their machines. To modify the project, they will have to perform a check-out from TFS; make changes and then check-in their changes to TFS. Colleagues are required to perform get-latest from TFS, so that their local project has all the latest files. If there's any files locally that are modified and is different from TFS, then they are given the option to merge their changes. This is similar to Git.

1 Reply

rraghvani
    Champion Level 3

Understand the difference between Git and GitHub and decided where you want to host your repository so that your team can easily access it.

Then read and understand Learn the Basics of Git in Under 10 Minutes.

Once you know what each git command does, you should then be able to use the git toolbar in TC.

I use source control called Team Foundation Server (TFS). I've created a project locally; this project is then checked-in to TFS (first initial version). My colleagues will then get the latest source files from TFS, so that they can work locally on their machines. To modify the project, they will have to perform a check-out from TFS; make changes and then check-in their changes to TFS. Colleagues are required to perform get-latest from TFS, so that their local project has all the latest files. If there's any files locally that are modified and is different from TFS, then they are given the option to merge their changes. This is similar to Git.