Forum Discussion

mfoster711
Regular Contributor
9 years ago

Namemap versioning

Is there any way to manage multiple versions of a namemap file? For example, I have a namemap file that works with the 2.01 version of our software but I want to create a copy of this namemap for the 2.02 version of our software so I can modify only the 2.02 version. I realize you can use Extended Find to overcome minor difference between versions of the software but I need to handle bigger differences. 

For example, we had an older screen that previously displayed customer information as just a bunch of static labels on the screen. The screen was reorganized to display the information in various sections using Tables, Groupbox, etc. so the method to identify the fields is very different and the namemap must change. BUT, and this is the key point, my aliases for the fields did NOT change. The customer last name is still Aliases.MyApp.CustomerInfoScreen.LastName but this Alias is now mapped to a much different object for the 2.02 version instead of a static labels used on 2.01 version. In other words, my tests will stay the same because they use the alias but the name map changed.

I need to run testing on our 2.01 version and then rerun the same tests on 2.02 to make sure all our key features our still working.

10 Replies

Marsha_R
    Champion Level 3

I think what I would do is create a second TestComplete project for the testing the new version.  

For the tests that are the same in both versions, use Add Existing to put them in the second project.  This will create a pointer back to the original test, so even if you edit it in the new project, it's the same file.

For the name mapping, make a copy of the original name mapping file and use Add New to put it in the second project. Edit this one to match your changes for the new version.

For tests that will be unique to either version, use Add New in the appropriate project.

mfoster711
      Regular Contributor

I think what I have decided I will do is make a clone the whole project and make a new project for each release. It seems real silly that I have to do this, but I don't see another way.

Marsha_R
        Champion Level 3

It works this way because NameMapping is a part of the project, not an outside file.  

blacy
    Contributor

You could also interagte TC with TFS. And store test scripts by release in TFS