Forum Discussion

spenserjames
New Contributor
15 years ago

NameMapping Issues When Moving from Windows XP to 7

Hello,

I recently recorded some tests on an application my company is developing using Windows XP. The tests work fine, but when I attempted to run the same tests on the same application in Windows 7, TestComplete couldn't recognize several of the text editing objects.

More specifically, the application is programmed in Delphi, and TestComplete originally mapped the problem objects to both "ClassName" and "ObjectIdentifier" properties. When the test is run in Windows 7, the "ObjectIdentifier" property does not correctly identify the object, so TestComplete thinks it isn't there. If the "ObjectIdentifier" property is removed, everything works fine.

Is there a way to remove the "ObjectIdentifier" property from all the objects in a project or project suite, without going through and manually deleting each one? Also, is there a way to specify that TestComplete shouldn't map to the ObjectIdentifier property at all during future recordings?

Thanks!

Spenser

5 Replies

• Hi Spenser,

How is your application recognized in the Object Browser under Windows 7? Are its objects VCLObjects or Windows? If they're recognized as 'Window', make sure that the 'Delphi and C++Builder Open Applications Support' plug-in is installed (File | Install Extension...).

• Hi Jared,

Most of the objects are VCLObjects, but the ones I'm having problems with are recognized as Windows (e.g. "TcxCustomComboBoxInnerEdit"). The 'Delphi and C++Builder Open Applications
    Support' plug-in is already installed.
  • Hi Spenser,

Does your application include debug info for the problematic controls? Also, what version of the problematic controls do you use (it looks like the problem occurs with third-party controls, not with the ones included in Delphi by default)?

• Hi Jared,

It turns out that the problematic controls were from DevExpress, and the debug info was not included because the libraries were so large. Once the debug info was included, the objects were correctly recorded as having the WndClass property. Although this doesn't fix the previously recorded tests, it won't be a problem in the future.

Thanks!
    Z0mbi
    Occasional Contributor
    Hi,

I guess I have a similar problem. I've updated to W7 from XP. My tests run only on XP. I create the scripts in W7.

The components are not found on XP when I create the script in W7. They have totaly different class... (I use VCL and devex comps but I have problem with the windows comps. like simple dialog boxes, open file, messages things like that)

Is there a nice workaround to deal with it or I just should move back to XP (which I don't really want to)

I tried to use the taborder to click the right button (as the dialog has the focus, I have no problem to do that)... it works but I should rather see a more proper solution for this.

Thx