Forum Discussion

vthomeschoolmom
Super Contributor
6 years ago
Solved

Name mapping is slooooowwwww

Last week, the name mapping operation, adding objects to the name mapping has become painfully slow. Has anyone seen this before? I can't think of anything that has changed. The app is the same. TC has not changed...

vthomeschoolmom
    6 years ago

Apparently, they are aware of git issues now. Reply to my case

Our R&D team investigated the issue, and it seems that the Git integration causes the issue.

When new files are added during the recording, there is the setting that will automatically add them to the repository. So, let's disable that option and check if this improves the situation. To do that, go to "Tools | Options | Source Control | Bind new items to SCC automatically." Then, disable the "Bind new items to SCC automatically" option and try running TestComplete again. 

Turning this option off solved the slow name mapping. I am unclear what features I am losing. If I don't use the source control ui through Test Complete, I am guessing not much.

16 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

Couple of things to check.

1)  How exensively are you using "Extended Find" in your mapping? Each time in a hierarchy extended find is used, that's an additional "search" that is being done by the engine.  This is not to say DON'T use the feature, just be aware that using it a lot may cause performance issues.

2) Are you using GIT as your source control?  There have been several reports here on the forums that GIT, when activated as a source control, can slow down editing of NameMapping and other such things.

vthomeschoolmom
      Super Contributor

1) Extended find: Never, unless I have to. Which I have not yet.

2) hmmmmm Culprit perhaps. Thanks! 

tristaanogre
        Esteemed Contributor

Hey, TanyaYatskovska .... there have been NUMEROUS reports here on the community that activating the GIT source control plugin in TC 12.60 is causing rather serious performance issues.  Do you know if there is anything that SmartBear staff know about that need to be done in order to make sure that this problem doesn't occur?

anupamchampati
    Frequent Contributor
    its git causing the problem

you can disable source control if you are planning to do lots of name mapping .

one more thing you can try by clearing unused name mapping
    1. tools -options- name mapping
    2. select collect usage statistics
    3. open name mapping
    4 right click on the mapped object explorer
    5.selct show usage
    6. in the top row you will see delete un used mapping
    this can improve speed little bit for mapping but best solution is to disable source control and map.
    once mapping is done..again enable the source control and continue working on it.
      TanyaYatskovska
      SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi all,

I've consulted with our TestComplete Support Team - they aren't aware of any GIT performance issue in TestComplete 12.6. If it's possible, I would suggest that you check if you see the same issues in TestComplete 14 (the latest product version).

Otherwise, please submit a support ticket so that our Customer Care Team could investigate this behavior. You can submit a support ticket here:

http://support.smartbear.com/message/?prod=TestComplete

vthomeschoolmom
        Super Contributor

Apparently, they are aware of git issues now. Reply to my case

Our R&D team investigated the issue, and it seems that the Git integration causes the issue.

When new files are added during the recording, there is the setting that will automatically add them to the repository. So, let's disable that option and check if this improves the situation. To do that, go to "Tools | Options | Source Control | Bind new items to SCC automatically." Then, disable the "Bind new items to SCC automatically" option and try running TestComplete again. 

Turning this option off solved the slow name mapping. I am unclear what features I am losing. If I don't use the source control ui through Test Complete, I am guessing not much.