Forum Discussion

jpolvino
Occasional Contributor
2 years ago

Multiple developers editing a TestComplete project

We have a single TestComplete license between 2 test developers, so we take turns editing the project, which is in its infancy. We're looking to purchase another license so we can both work on developing test solutions. We're thinking along the lines of a network share that the 2 of us plus the TestExecute machine can access.

Is there a way for the 2 of us to work on a single project at the same time? If not, would we have to develop scripts locally and then somehow merge them together? My concern is that certain project-level assets may get dropped or corrupted.

Thanks!

4 Replies

• Hi jpolvino!

We have a couple of methods to handle this. First, we do have a feature to use projects from a network share drive. We also support source control within the tool, so both are viable methods. 

Here is our document on using test projects in shared mode;

https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/working-with/teamwork/sharing-projects.html

And here is our overview on source control;

https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/working-with/integration/scc/index.html

I hope this helps!

Calvin895
    Occasional Visitor

To do some specific tasks like creating new branches, merging changes, or resolving conflicts, you need to install a source-control client on your computer. The “TortoiseXXXX“ clients – TortoiseSVN, TortoiseGit, TortoiseHg – can be called directly from TestComplete to perform the actions you need. JCPenney Kiosk

jpolvino
    Occasional Contributor

We appreciate the quick responses, and will try out the suggestions. Still have quite a lot to learn about the product...it's been several years since I've used it last (prior product from early 2000s), and much has changed. Thanks again!

• Hey jpolvino!

Absolutely! We are always happy to help, there are a lot of experienced eyes around here. Good luck on coming back up to speed, feel free to drop any questions you have moving forward.

Happy Testing!