Forum Discussion

KevinHawkins
New Contributor
8 years ago

Missing WinFormsControlName property causing test failure on one install of TestComplete / TestExec

I have a test where I find and interact with an object using the FindChild method.  It works on many different installations of TestComplete and TestExecute. However, on one installation it fails and throws the error, "The object does not exist." One of the properties I use with the FindChild method is the WinFormsControlName property. When I use the Object Spy for the control in question it is not present on the failing machine.  It is present on all the other machines.  

I have looked at https://support.smartbear.com/viewarticle/87993/ and it states:

The WinFormsControlName property is only available if the .NET Application Support plugin is installed and the application under test is a .NET application created with Microsoft Windows Forms. Otherwise, this property is absent in the object’s property list.

As far as I can tell, this is installed correctly and since the test works on other installs with the same scripts, I feel like it's possibly an installation/configuration issue. While I could update the test to use a different property, I'd like to see if I can get this property to display correctly. Does anybody have any suggestions as to where to begin troubleshooting this? 

2 Replies

m_essaid
    Valued Contributor

hi,

do you really need to interact with this object's property ?

I mean, you could use the PropertyExists method (see help)

obj.PropertyExists(Name) which returns a boolean...

if the property don't exist you don't use it.

KevinHawkins
      New Contributor

I use the WinFormsControlName property to find the object as an alternative to using Name Mapping. If I can't get an answer to this question as to why its availability is inconsistent between machines,  I will use a different object property (which isn't an issue).

I really just want to know why it's not available and if it can be fixed