Forum Discussion

laxtc
Occasional Contributor
15 years ago

Map Object from the object Browser

Hello,

Here is the scenario:

I already have a namemapping and most of the objects are mapped. Also, I made some changes on the page object under Namemapping.

Now, I forgot to add one object or a new object need to be added to my existing namemap. I used Object Browser and located that object and right click on it -> Map the Object Name.. menu item. I see Map Object Name dialog with list of all the parent of that object. Here is the problem, as soon as I start mapping each parent. I see that there is a new "iexplore" under name mapping and new object is under different hiearchy. I don't want that. Why this is happening? Can't I just add that object to my exisitng NameMap rather than remapping each parent?

Please let me know..

Thanks

5 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor
    If you're using IE8, that's actually one of my complaints, simply because IE 8 has two iexplore processes ALWAYS... potentially more if you're using tabbed browsing.

What I end up doing is mapping from the iexplore process that does not have an index (after I turn off tabbed browsing).  That's the process that seems to contain all the hierarchy that I'm expecting.
    laxtc
    Occasional Contributor
    Thank you for the response. I do user IE8. How do I turn of the tab browsing?. If I turn off the tabbed browsing, I hope it should recognize all the old parents. Right?

Thanks again..
    laxtc
    Occasional Contributor
    After disabling the tabbed browser still I see the problem. If I try to add a new object from the object browser it will create a new iexplore each time rather than adding to the existing Namemapping  object.

Is there any solution for it?.. It is really tedious job to add a new object to the Namemapping.

Testcomple support please let me know.

Thanks
    laxtc
    Occasional Contributor
    If I try to add the object I see the message on the object map dialog -> "elements already contains a child named cell" then I can't do anything. How do I add that object?.
  • Hi Laxmikant,

Here is a copy of our answer to the same question you asked via e-mail:

The behavior you are facing means that the recognition criteria of the parent process differ from those specified in your current Name Mapping scheme. Here is a simple example: suppose only a single IE instance was launched when you created your original Name Mapping scheme. When you created the scheme, the process had the Index property equal to 1 and, therefore, was mapped by its name. Now, suppose you have two or more IE processes launched (which is a very common case for IE 8 as each tab of the browser works in an individual process). If you work with a process whose index differs from 1 (e.g. 2, 3 or greater), a new mapped object will be created: now, the new index will be included. So, I recommend that you check the index of the process carefully and work only with a single IE instance which displays only a single page at a time - this will allow you to avoid objects recognition problems.

If the answer does not help, please let me know the value of the Index property of the mapped iexplore object and the object you are trying to map.

Also, in the future, please do not send us duplicated requests (note that we reply to messages sent via the Contact Support form, AutomatedQA newsgroups, AutomatedQA forums and the TestComplete section of the SQAforums site). This makes processing your requests much more difficult for us and does not increase the requests priority anyway.