Forum Discussion

steven_yetter
Contributor
2 years ago

Logs and Project configuration in TestComplete Project GIT/Bitbucket Folders?

If we put our Test Complete project in Git/Repository, the Logs folders will be in there too.  With another automation project not based on Test Complete, we have a habit of installing our tests by getting source code from GIT repository, and running the code there.  That project is configured so that the application folders and log folders are not with the test code.   So get the automation into a folder by Clone and Run it.  The configuration is outside of GIT as well.  When we are working with the test code, we do GIT code commits from there as well.  But if we were to configure in the source code and have our test logs in the source code folders, Git would always be tryig to add Logs and configuration file to the source code.   How is this done with Test Conplete?  Can you configure the Test Logs to  be outside of the test project?    Or do you tell GIT to exclude the Log folders and other run-time files?

3 Replies

rraghvani
    Champion Level 3

I use TFS (Team Foundation Server) to store TC source files only, and I've excluded files with extensions *.tcLS, *.tcCfgExtender, *.bak, *.jpg and also the Log folder. When Testers check-in their changes, these files will not be included.

On my execution server machine, I download the TC source files, and run the project. The Log folder is generated on this machine, each having their own timestamp.

• On execution server machine, when you download TC source files, is that download a source code control folder?   I am not sure if Team Foundation Server is using GIT or if the download is a GIT project.  In Bitbucket, we can clone or download, but I completely forgot about download because I don't use it.  So, I think you are saying that the install process is to download, the log files are created in the source code project folder, but it doesn't matter because that isn't a GIT folder.  Am I correct?

rraghvani
    Champion Level 3

TFS, Git, TortoiseSVN etc are just source control software. Download the source files from your repository and run the project either using TestComplete or TestExecute. 

I use a PowerShell script, that performs a clean-up, downloads the source files, runs the project, and then send email of results.