Forum Discussion

gdave
Regular Contributor
2 years ago

License Query

Hi all

I would really appreciate some clarification in relation to the floating license.

Based on my understanding from the below table, it seems that if you purchase a floating license then you would typically get multiple seats which can then enable multiple users to log in concurrently however the number of users working concurrently cannot exceed the number of seats. Example: if someone has 2 seats on one floating license then 2 concurrent user should be able to use it. Can someone please clarify if my understanding is correct ?

If the above is correct, how do we go about having multiple seats on our floating license which sits on a virtual machine ? Our aim is to have one single license with 2 seats so that 2 users can access it concurrently. Thanks

7 Replies

Marsha_R
    Champion Level 3

Perhaps this is what is blocking you.

At my office, we have one floating license. We have three people who installed TC on their computers and have permissions, but only one of us can use it at a time. 

If you have many users but want two of them to be able to work concurrently at any time, then you need two floating licenses.

gdave
      Regular Contributor

I understand but in contrary the TestComplete licensing document says that typically a floating license has multiple seats and seats are not assigned to the user. Number of users working concurrently cannot exceed number of seats.

So it that essence, if a floating license typically has multiple seats (as listed in the document) then two users should be able to use it concurrently. What I don't understand is the concept of seats here. Thanks

Marsha_R
    Champion Level 3
    Tbe documentation is correct and I probably confused you.

If you want two people to be able to work concurrently, then you need a floating license with two seats. Your admin can put 100 people on the "permitted" list, but at most two of those 100 can be logged on to TC at the same time.
      gdave
      Regular Contributor

When you say floating license with 2 seats does that mean 2 separate floating licenses or 1 floating license which is enabled to have 2 seats (But you still pay for one license) ?

Thanks

Marsha_R
        Champion Level 3
        Best you should talk to your salesperson about the specific configuration you need.